News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Simple Question

Started by DaveyMoto, December 05, 2013, 03:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveyMoto

Hello,

I want to convert PHPBB 3.0.1 to SMF. Well, I've read the Converting-guide and have some questions:

" The convert.php file and the associated SQL file for the forum software must be uploaded to the same directory as the blank SMF install."
Means:

These two files must be in the installed SMF folder?

Second question:

I have a huge phpBB database. All these entries will get automaticly converted to SMF's database Format? (Username, Profile informations.. etc..)

Do I need two databases? My old phpBB and the SMF database so the new registerings will go to the SMF databse, and the exist informations will be kept from the phpBB database?

These are my questions.

Greetings,
Dave

PS: The verification on this forum is quite hard haha..

margarett

QuoteThese two files must be in the installed SMF folder?
Yes, where index.php and SSI.php are

QuoteAll these entries will get automaticly converted to SMF's database Format? (Username, Profile informations.. etc..)
Well, maybe not *ALL* entries. I don't remember everything the converter... converts :P but it's the majority of the information on a clean phpBB installation. If you are using some modifications there, its data is probably not converted.

QuoteDo I need two databases?
Not mandatory. It's usually advised to use the same database because of user access rights. The converter needs to access both phpBB and SMF data so, if they are in the same database, you are less likely to have problems. It is, of course, mandatory to have different table prefixes, but that usually is assured by the fact you are using different softwares, so their prefixes are already different.
But you can use 2 different databases, if your MySQL user has access to both.

QuoteMy old phpBB and the SMF database so the new registerings will go to the SMF databse, and the exist informations will be kept from the phpBB database?
That's not how it works, really...
- You have and original set of tables in a database that store the data from phpBB. This data respects a certain format, that phpBB knows how to handle.
- You install SMF. This creates a new set of tables in the same or in a different database, with a different format, that SMF knows how to handle.
- You run the converter. It picks the data from phpBB's set of tables, converts that data to a format that SMF can handle, and finally writes that data to SMF's set of tables.
When the conversion finishes, you have the same data on 2 different "platforms", but that's the end of their "connection". From that point on, any change you do in any of those softwares is *NOT* replicated in the other.

QuotePS: The verification on this forum is quite hard haha..
It will go away after 10 posts, sorry...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: