SPAM Management

Started by Fat_Man, December 07, 2013, 10:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

The explanation is somewhere in those forums ;-) Just believe that it isn't...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

Because of the way the anti spam code is written, and it's sort of the way PHP works.

Basically, the test in the bowels of that code, there is a test using the function empty() to check that there is a value there. Except because of the way PHP works, a string of the character 0 will be silently converted to the number 0 which matches the definition of empty. (Amongst other things, 0, '0', an empty string, an empty array, the value false and the internal value null are all matched as empty with the empty() function)

I have a feeling I changed this in 2.1 but I can't remember. But a 0 is not considered valid under any circumstances as an answer to a Q&A question in 2.0.

EDIT: I've also updated the wiki to mention it.

Fat_Man

Thanks for the explanation and Wiki update.
I will mark this solved now.

Randem

When I switched to SMF I had a large number of spambots logging on to my forum and i found a way that stops them. The numbers have dropped down from  about 100 a day to about 3-5 attempting to register. My "Who's Online" list was long at any given time. I installed a MOD named BotScout and it seems to have deterred the spambots from gaining access and the counts are down to under 5 now in a weeks time. The MOD has foiled the registration attempts and I suggest for you to use it. It has helped immensely!
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Arantor

Or you could follow the advice given which works even without adding mods (and in fact should be lighter on the server)

Advertisement: