Converter fields question

Started by sashap13, December 30, 2013, 04:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sashap13

Looking at the converter,

Path to SMF:   autofilled

MySQL database used by Snitz:   what is the format here?

Is it www. site. com/ folder /  database.sql  or same format as path to smf which shows as: D:\Hosting\7077161\html\forums and change forums to folder with the sql file?

Please help!

margarett

It is just the database name, as it shows in phpmyadmin
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sashap13

I have is it supposed to be in phpadmin? I didn't see that in the steps for using the converter. I have it in directory of my site.

margarett

No, the converter is a php script that needs to be put inside SMF installation folder. But the data if fetched from a database. And you need to tell the converter what database is that.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sashap13

Do i need to have the database loaded on a local server then? (i have apache on my win machine) because i was hoping to point it to the file where i have it uploaded on site. I'm new to servers/mysql so guidance on what i should be doing would be appreciated.

margarett

Did you check this:
Converting to SMF
?

You need to install SMF (and then run the converter) in the same server as you current forum is running. Please take a moment to read that and let us know if you can't understand something ;)

sashap13

So finally got the database uploaded to same domain as SMF. Trying to run the converter and getting http://dogousa.org/forums [nofollow]

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I used the database name as shown by the host and the password is right, I even reset it to make sure.

margarett

Did the converter run? Or haven't you tried yet?
Is SMF installation accessible? That just seems that SMF cannot connect to its database and, as such, it can't run

sashap13

That's the error i get when i try to run the converter. The converter.php is in the mail folder where forums are.   :-\

Just tried to access the forums alone, and got same error??

margarett

Yup. First your basic SMF install should be running

sashap13

Ok, uninstalled, reinstalled. Log in to forums fine. Now i go to converter and when i click run, i get:

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Snitz Forums. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: SELECT command denied to user 'dog1403002234483'@'ip.ip.ip.ip' for table 'FORUM_MEMBERS'

PhuriousGeorge

Make sure your new mysql user has access to read the DB you're converting from. You should be able to change this in user permissions management in phpmyadmin

sashap13

would you be able to point in right direction of what tab and what fields and how should be filled out? thank you! (new)

PhuriousGeorge

That's quite alright (new), I've only been around about a year myself ;)

I know phpmyadmin differs from versions and is dependent on settings, but I believe you'll be able to find what you need...

-Should be a menu button at the top "users"
-select "edit priviledges" next to the user you're using for your new forum

then (you'll have to excuse me, my phpmyadmin suddenly changed to some foreign language (darn you UwAmp!)...

-There should be a drop-down I believe, where you choose a DB you want to add the user to about half way down the page.

Hopefully you can get to where you need to go from there....I've got to try to find the language option in mine....so strange...

sashap13

margarett

Actually I think that tab is only available in the "full version". In a shared host, the user/db permissions are usually set via cPanel.

sashap13

:'(  With GoDaddy, no cPanel. What are my options? I'm also waiting for tech support to call me from them, what should I tell them? Thank you!!!!!!

margarett

There should be a database manager, or something like that...

Or, you have just one user, period. Honestly, don't know. I have only seen the panel from GD on random occasions, never used it for myself...

Just remember... Are you starting with this service? Did you had any other forum running there before (Snitz?) I think that you might just have an issue with the database server. In GD, it's usually not localhost IIRC... But you must ask them, really...

sashap13

Ok, so got cpanel, got the user for both, now back to Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

sashap13

Ok, so finally made it past that screen, now getting:

Converting members... Unsuccessful!
This query:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `dogousa_smf1`.smf_convert (
old_id_topic int(10) unsigned NULL default '0',
old_id_msg int(10) unsigned NULL default '0',
msg_date bigint(20) unsigned NULL default '0',
type varchar(80) NOT NULL default ''
) TYPE=MyISAM;
Caused the error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 6

sashap13

Ok, fixed the above, now getting:

Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (modified_time)
Please help. I've had 4 other errors prior to this and I am now pulling out my hair.

margarett

Did you get the converter from the downloads page? What version from your previous software are you converting from?

I'm sorry, the conversion is rarely a straightforward process :(

mrjamin

I'm also getting the error trying to convert Snitz to SMF:

Converting members... Unsuccessful!
This query:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `SMFDB`.smf_convert (
old_id_topic int(10) unsigned NULL default '0',
old_id_msg int(10) unsigned NULL default '0',
msg_date bigint(20) unsigned NULL default '0',
type varchar(80) NOT NULL default ''
) TYPE=MyISAM;
Caused the error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 6

This is using the converter 2.0 downloaded from this site.  Snitz is version 3.4.06 and SMF is 2.0.7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  :)

margarett

Uh, that's wrong...

So, you need to replace TYPE= with ENGINE=

I'll try to check if I can find it for you ;)

mrjamin

Thanks Margarett.

I've made that change in the .sql file and got a little further.  The next blocker seems to be around the date format for the member date of birth:

"Converting members...Wrong value type sent to the database. Date expected. (birthdate)"

Looking at MySQL the data type for M_DOB in Snitz seems to be set to varchar rather than date or datetime, so not sure if that might be the cause.  I'm not really a SQL guru so not sure about how to correct it.

margarett

Can you post an example of a birthday from your  database?

mrjamin

The field is empty as this option is tuned off in the Snitz configuration.

margarett

Empty, like, NULL? Or is it an empty text field?

edit: just remove this:

M_DOB AS birthdate,

From the .sql file ;)

mrjamin

I think it's NULL. 

I've removed that bit of the SQL, but it appears that there are further issues with the data types:

"Converting members...Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (hide_email)"

Removing the hide_email bit of the SQL and we get a bit further, but the next failure is on the table names.  I think this is just a capitalisation issue though.  Snitz creates tables names all in caps, but the SQL has them in lower-case. So this one breaks it too:

TOPIC_ID AS old_id_topic
FROM {$from_prefix}forum_reply

Updating that to FORUM_REPLY gets us back to more data type issues :-(

"Preparing Conversion (part 1)...Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (msg_date)"

Advertisement: