News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need help: upgrading/ conversion problem

Started by Proenski, October 02, 2005, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proenski

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade my Yabbse install to an SMF 1.0.5 (converting to RC1 wouldn't work) one by using the converter tool. But unfortunately this isn't working either.

I got SMF up and running here:
www.depechemodeforum.com/board

and the old board is here:
www.depechemodeforum.com/yabbse

Both databases have the same username/ password combination and are located on the same server. So how come I still get this message?

QuoteSorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of YaBB SE. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

Anybody any ideas??

Thanx
May the force be with you

xenovanis

Do they have the same username/password or is it the same user? Both users should have access to either database, or it won't work.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Proenski

I reset both databases to the same user/ password combination just to make sure this would work...

xenovanis

Yes, but since they are obviously not the same user, do both users have access to both databases? That might very well be your problem.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Proenski

I think you misunderstood both username/ password combination are the same and they both have access to both databases

YabbSE:
user: proenski
password: example

SMF:
user: proenski
password: example

xenovanis

Well, it isn't working now.. so the converter isn't able to access one of the databases. Maybe a shortcut solution is to import one of your databases to the other, so one database contains all info.

Proenski

I never done it like this; do I understand correctly that I need to:

a) backup the current YabbSE database
b) import into the SMF database

If so, how do I do step b? Again I never done this, I made backups but fortunately I never had to restore anything  :)

xenovanis

If you go to your phpMyAdmin and select the SMF database, there is a tab "SQL" on top of the page. Choose "Location of the text file" and browse for the backup on your harddrive.

Proenski

Is this data or data and structure? My complete backup is like 14 mb and apparently there is a 7 mb limit...

xenovanis

You need both, but you have a big database. In order to restore it you'll need to cut it in pieces.

If you don't mind giving me temporary access to your cPanel and databases, I can take a look to see if there is an easier way to fix this.

xenovanis

By the way, have you considered using the update package for SMF 1.0.5?

Proenski

Quote from: xenovanis on October 02, 2005, 05:11:53 PM
By the way, have you considered using the update package for SMF 1.0.5?

Yeah I did but I would like to keep my old board for a little while. I tried to convert from SMF 1.0.5 to RC 1 at first using the converter but that didn't work. So I put up a second YabbSE 1.5.5 install and trying to put the data into that and then "upgrade" and keeping the original board.

What I'm gonna try to do is to reduce the size of the original board so I have a smaller backup file.

Proenski

So far no luck on my effords. However I may (I hope) I have found the cause of not being able to upgrade

Even tough I can login as administrator on both databases I see that I'm not allowed to "create a new database" in one of them.

Can anybody here tell me if that could be it? and how to solve this?

Thanx!

Oldiesmann

That's not it. The reason you're not allowed to create a new database is because this has to be done through CPanel and not through phpMyAdmin.

My suggestion would be to export your SMF tables and re-upload them to your YaBB SE database. Then modify SMF's Settings.php to use the tables on the YaBB SE database instead of the ones on its own database. This should fix your problems.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: