News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Started by iksa, January 03, 2014, 07:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iksa

I'm running SMF 2.0.6 and noticed that when I post a new message in a category that is a sub-category of another sub-category, my new post is not shown as the newest post on SMF front page. The reason I believe this is caused by the sub-sub-category thing is that earlier I have not noticed anything weird with this when I have posted in categories higher in the category hierarchy.

The parent category of the category I posted in has such permissions that it is visible to only some member groups of my forum but I am an administrator of the forum so I expect to always see the newest post on the front page regardless of its category.

Arantor

iksa

Arantor

Performance. Not on my laptop, can't explain right now.

Arantor

OK, so I'm on my laptop now.

The board index and message index code do the same: they always forcibly ignore the child of a child board for performance. Always has done, right back to the very first version of SMF in 2004.

Primarily it's done because of the way board access is handled, which is not efficient, and so it tries to filter as many boards as possible using indexes before it tries to apply a per-row evaluation condition to the boards table.

Advertisement: