News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

License/Approval required for installing SMF for College

Started by shadab, January 03, 2014, 09:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadab

Hello,

I would like to know if i can install SMF forum for my college.

I saw in the agreement section, it says "Any Distribution of this Package, whether as a Modified Package or not, requires express written consent from Simple Machines.".
Do i have to get this consent and how.

Regards,
Shadab

Kindred

for *USE* you do not need any permissions.

The only permissions required (for 2.0.0 or later) are only if you plan to distribute the SMF forum software using the SMF name.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shadab

ok,

So when i install it for the college it means the college is using it for their purpose even though they know its an SMF forum right.

"distribute the SMF forum software using the SMF name" means that i install it says i am from SMF right.

Thanks & Regards,
Shadab

Kindred

yes. Installing and running a forum using the SMF software requires no permissions.   We provide the software free to anyone who wants to download and install it.

Distributing would be, basically, putting the SMF software up for download by others on your own site (and/or yes, pretending that you represent SMF)

Additionally, version 2.0.0 and beyond were released under the (3-clause) BSD license.
(this allows anyone to rename, modify and otherwise distribute the forum software - as long as they don't pretend to be SMF and that the don't suggest that SMF has endored their product)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: