News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Slow Queries - Optimisation

Started by heusdens, January 16, 2014, 01:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heusdens

Hi

I'm started to log all slow queries and my logs are filling up with hundreds of these following query/s:

SELECT bi.id_ban, bi.email_address, bi.id_member, bg.cannot_access, bg.cannot_register,
bg.cannot_post, bg.cannot_login, bg.reason, IFNULL(bg.expire_time, 0) AS expire_time
FROM smf_ban_items AS bi
INNER JOIN smf_ban_groups AS bg ON (bg.id_ban_group = bi.id_ban_group AND (bg.expire_time IS NULL OR bg.expire_time > 1389720282))
WHERE
(((66 BETWEEN bi.ip_low1 AND bi.ip_high1)
AND (249 BETWEEN bi.ip_low2 AND bi.ip_high2)
AND (78 BETWEEN bi.ip_low3 AND bi.ip_high3)
AND (234 BETWEEN bi.ip_low4 AND bi.ip_high4)) OR ((66 BETWEEN bi.ip_low1 AND bi.ip_high1)
AND (249 BETWEEN bi.ip_low2 AND bi.ip_high2)
AND (78 BETWEEN bi.ip_low3 AND bi.ip_high3)
AND (234 BETWEEN bi.ip_low4 AND bi.ip_high4)));

Any idea on how this can be optimised / resolved?  I understand what this query is doing but stuck at how to solve it.  Only 9 rows are being examined here. 

青山 素子

How many bans do you have set up in SMF?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

heusdens

Hi

There is only one ban in place.

butch2k

could you post an explain of this query (using phpmyadmin for instance) ?

Arantor

Waste of time, basically. The entire ban system is, end to end, a series of slow queries and needs a complete rewrite - and it's worse in 2.1.

butch2k

While i agree on the performance of the ban system is far from being stellar, having hundreds of such queries piling up is not normal given there are just 9 rows being examined. I suspect there might be some issue elsewhere i just need to make sure there is no index issue at hands.

heusdens

Hi

Apologies I didn't see the responses sooner.

Here is output of EXPLAIN:

Generation Time: Jan 24, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Generated by: phpMyAdmin 4.0.8 / MySQL 5.5.34-cll
SQL query: EXPLAIN SELECT bi.id_ban, bi.email_address, bi.id_member, bg.cannot_access, bg.cannot_register, bg.cannot_post, bg.cannot_login, bg.reason, IFNULL(bg.expire_time, 0) AS expire_time FROM smf_ban_items AS bi INNER JOIN smf_ban_groups AS bg ON (bg.id_ban_group = bi.id_ban_group AND (bg.expire_time IS NULL OR bg.expire_time > 1389720282)) WHERE (((66 BETWEEN bi.ip_low1 AND bi.ip_high1) AND (249 BETWEEN bi.ip_low2 AND bi.ip_high2) AND (78 BETWEEN bi.ip_low3 AND bi.ip_high3) AND (234 BETWEEN bi.ip_low4 AND bi.ip_high4)) OR ((66 BETWEEN bi.ip_low1 AND bi.ip_high1) AND (249 BETWEEN bi.ip_low2 AND bi.ip_high2) AND (78 BETWEEN bi.ip_low3 AND bi.ip_high3) AND (234 BETWEEN bi.ip_low4 AND bi.ip_high4)));
Rows: 2

Quoteid   select_type   table   type   possible_keys   key   key_len   ref   rows   Extra   
1   SIMPLE   bg   ALL   PRIMARY   NULL   NULL   NULL   4   Using where
1   SIMPLE   bi   ref   ID_BAN_GROUP   ID_BAN_GROUP   2   phlepw_smf.bg.id_ban_group   1   Using where

butch2k

Ok you probably have an issue elsewhere (locked table) resulting in queries pilling up until the blocking one is done for, or you are being seriously hammered by requests. Do you have an idea of the number of requests hitting SMF/index.php per sec ?

Advertisement: