News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Release Notification Email

Started by ezcry4t3d, January 21, 2014, 11:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezcry4t3d

After many years, I have finally shut down my Simple Machines Forum.  As such, I no longer wish to receive email announcing new releases.

I attempted to follow the unsubscribe instructions in one of these emails to no avail, since the "notification" area of my profile does not seem to exist anywhere.

QuoteTHIS IS NOT SPAM! You are receiving this non-commercial email because you are subscribed to receive notifications per e-mail, directly from our community. (http://simplemachines.org/community)

- If you are looking to unsubscribe from receiving such (security) announcements on <email> in the future, please login to our community and *after logging in* set your preference by using this URL: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=notification; You can unsubscribe there.

Anyone know how I get off this email train?
"Before you give someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Illori

try that link again now that you have 10 posts.

Irisado

You cannot edit your profile when you have fewer than ten posts, so try again now, and see if you can.  If you go to Profile>Notifications and e-mail, you should be able to uncheck the first box to stop receiving notifications.

Edit: Too slow :D.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

ezcry4t3d

"Before you give someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

The_Worst

I'm currently having the same problem... So first I have to spam 9 more messages before I can unsubscribe myself from the mailing list? ...

ezcry4t3d

Yes, after that tenth post I made all the options appear at the unsubscribe link.

LiroyvH

Quote from: The_Worst on January 21, 2014, 06:36:34 PM
I'm currently having the same problem... So first I have to spam 9 more messages before I can unsubscribe myself from the mailing list? ...

I cancelled it for you.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

slammedcivic

10 post now!  Off to unsubscribe.

lightfairy287

Quote from: CoreISP on January 21, 2014, 08:58:05 PM
I cancelled it for you.

I don't use SMF anymore either. It was a great forum software when I needed it! Thank you for your software.

Could you please cancel my email subscription as well?

Thanks! :)

Oldiesmann

Quote from: lightfairy287 on January 22, 2014, 12:45:58 PM
Quote from: CoreISP on January 21, 2014, 08:58:05 PM
I cancelled it for you.

I don't use SMF anymore either. It was a great forum software when I needed it! Thank you for your software.

Could you please cancel my email subscription as well?

Thanks! :)

Done.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Blijbol

LiroyvH

revlisoft

Same problem here.  I can't unsubscribe.

nowhere3

Same problem here. Noticing a trend?

Arantor

I am noticing a trend indeed... people can't unsubscribe because that page is denied to people who have under 10 posts (because the same permission also prevents people with under 10 posts from having a signature)

What interests me more is why people who've signed up, been signed up for years are all suddenly complaining *now*, when they would have had a similar email three months ago with the last update.

nowhere3

For me it was because that email 3 months ago was the first email from SMF that I had actually noticed in a long time. The second one triggered me to realise that maybe SMF was going to be sending more emails out and I would want to unsubscribe.

ezcry4t3d

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 23, 2014, 01:25:23 PM
What interests me more is why people who've signed up, been signed up for years are all suddenly complaining *now*, when they would have had a similar email three months ago with the last update.

For me, it's because 3 months ago I was still running SMF on my server and I used the emails to alert me when there were updates.  Now, the 4 remaining users migrated off to somewhere I don't have to manage anymore, so I shut the forum down and no longer need to know when updates are released.

Arantor

That might explain your case but it doesn't explain the sudden influx of everyone else and I would note this didn't happen after the 2.0.6 release...

nowhere3

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 23, 2014, 02:56:06 PM
That might explain your case but it doesn't explain the sudden influx of everyone else and I would note this didn't happen after the 2.0.6 release...

Maybe they were still using SMF after 2.0.6. I'm just replying to you mostly to get 10 posts.

Arantor

So what about you, though? You signed up in 2009, were you still using SMF after 2.0.6?

nowhere3

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 23, 2014, 03:28:33 PM
So what about you, though? You signed up in 2009, were you still using SMF after 2.0.6?

Was not. I have no explanation for my sudden request to be unsubscribed besides the fact that I had to make that request at all, which is really goddamn annoying.

Arantor

That's the part that confuses me... the same email would have gone out for 2.0.6, 2.0.5, 2.0.4... I'm just confused why there's a sudden influx *now*.

As for getting it changed, that requires one of the admins and unfortunately there aren't any around right now (otherwise I'd have poked them for you)

As said before, the page that controls your preference for notifications is controlled by a very broad permission - the same one that allows you to set a signature, and that's disabled for users with under 10 posts to discourage spammers. This has also been changed in 2.1 so that signatures can be set separately to notification preferences and so on (so this won't be an issue in 2.1)

nowhere3

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 23, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
That's the part that confuses me... the same email would have gone out for 2.0.6, 2.0.5, 2.0.4... I'm just confused why there's a sudden influx *now*.

As for getting it changed, that requires one of the admins and unfortunately there aren't any around right now (otherwise I'd have poked them for you)

As said before, the page that controls your preference for notifications is controlled by a very broad permission - the same one that allows you to set a signature, and that's disabled for users with under 10 posts to discourage spammers. This has also been changed in 2.1 so that signatures can be set separately to notification preferences and so on (so this won't be an issue in 2.1)

Maybe it has something to do with the email going out in January? Lots of people make resolutions to clean up their inboxes in the new year.

Good to hear that this is being fixed.

Arantor

Dunno, heh, I'm just confused by it because I like to understand why people do what they do ;)

I've just seen one of the admins and asked him if he can update your profile.

nowhere3

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 23, 2014, 03:39:27 PM
Dunno, heh, I'm just confused by it because I like to understand why people do what they do ;)

I've just seen one of the admins and asked him if he can update your profile.

Sounds good.

Arantor

And he's said it's done, so no more emails :)

nowhere3

Thank you, been nice talking to you.

Arantor

wickedneurons

I need to get to 10 posts. Crikey

Arantor

Funny that, you're already there ;)

Kindred

And something like 200 users requesting account deletion in the last 2 days...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Saxtus

What interests me is why the 10 posts requirement isn't stated at the signature of the newsletter, in the section about unsubscribing.
Oh wait, I know! Because it would be illegal!

Bottom line, it doesn't matter why subscribed people wasn't active enough to have 10 posts before deciding to take a break from SMF,
still doesn't make it legal to allow unsubscribing only after meeting specific requirements.

So I do have a question now, because I don't want those emails anymore:
If I ask you to manually unsubscribe me now and in the future I decide to return back to SMF,
my account will be banned from the newsletter until I create filler posts to meet the 10-posts requirement?

Thank you.

Arantor

It really was not done intentionally illegally. It is, as stated, a flaw in the software that too many things are tied to a single permission (and this is not an issue in the in development version)

And I believe every request we have received about this, we have acted on. I'm sure you can appreciate that we have to curb spam where we can, it is unfortunate that one anti-spam measure is also a problem with user convenience.

Oh, I'm not saying it matters. I'm just genuinely curious why there is a sudden outpouring of people this time, as opposed to three months ago where the same problem should theoretically have occurred but didn't.

If you want to be removed manually, sure we will accommodate that. As to 'in the future' that depends primarily on timescale. You're not 'banned' from the newsletter per se, as we have shown we're more than happy to instate or remove people from the list if the current settings do not permit that to be the case. If you decide to return while we still use 2.0 here, it will need to be a request. If we're using 2.1 by that time, you will be absolutely free to subscribe or unsubscribe at any time regardless of the no-signature configuration we have (since it's a configuration issue, no code changes were made)

live627

QuoteThat's the part that confuses me... the same email would have gone out for 2.0.6, 2.0.5, 2.0.4... I'm just confused why there's a sudden influx *now*.
My theory is that no one bothered until they saw this thread. Then they saw that they weren't alone.

LiroyvH

What interests me is why the 10 posts requirement isn't stated at the signature of the newsletter, in the section about unsubscribing.

No, it would not be.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Saxtus on January 23, 2014, 11:45:27 PM

Bottom line, it doesn't matter why subscribed people wasn't active enough to have 10 posts before deciding to take a break from SMF,
still doesn't make it legal to allow unsubscribing only after meeting specific requirements.

So I do have a question now, because I don't want those emails anymore:
If I ask you to manually unsubscribe me now and in the future I decide to return back to SMF,
my account will be banned from the newsletter until I create filler posts to meet the 10-posts requirement?

Thank you.

You have been unsubscribed from the newsletter. If you wish to subscribe again in the future and don't have 10 posts yet by that time, let us know.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: