Need Opinions From The Community About Which Default Avatar You Like Best?

Started by Xarcell, January 24, 2014, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Default Avatar Would You Like To See In SMF-2.1?

Screenshot 1
0 (0%)
Screenshot 2
0 (0%)
Screenshot 3
0 (0%)
Screenshot 4
0 (0%)
Screenshot 5
0 (0%)
Screenshot 6
0 (0%)
Screenshot 7
0 (0%)
Screenshot 8
0 (0%)
Screenshot 9
0 (0%)
None Of These.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 24, 2014, 02:05:17 PM

Xarcell

Voting Rules: 2 votes per user; user can change votes; results revealed after your vote; 90 day poll.

Here are some avatars that are being considered to use as default for SMF 2.1. These are just sketches, so they can be tweaked. Don't mind the colors, as they can be changed easily. All of these are vectors that I drew in illustrator.

A couple of thought to consider when voting.

1.| It was suggested that the default avatar should be gender-less for obvious reasons; hence no face & unusual hair.
2.| It was suggested that the default avatar shouldn't be flat in design, because the theme isn't flat.
3.| It was later suggested that the default avatar should be ethic-less for obvious reasons; hence no color & all grey.
4.| It was later suggested it should be a symbol, because you can't really make the default avatar fit all ages, even when gender/ethic-less.

I'll try to post the screenshots or whatever in the order that I made them.

I am also still open to suggestions.

NOTE - 1: I am also making an avatar set exclusive to SMF & it's forks, featuring people of both sexes & various races/colors. You can see two examples in the avatar set above the 2 defaults in screenshot 3. If you prefer a person avatar to be the default, you might want to consider picking one that matches the set that I am creating. Or I may just end up making the avatar sets look more similar to the default person avatar of whichever one wins. The shape of the face is still undecided on the avatar set. I will post variations that I have so far in the next post, it case it influences a persons decision when selecting a person avatar.

NOTE - 2: Which ever wins here might not necessarily be selected as the default avatar for SMF 2.1. That decision still rests with the powers that be. This poll is to merely help narrow down the decision for them. Also, whatever default theme is chosen, it will be placed in the default theme directory, so that a custom theme designer can make his/her own default avatar to match his/her custom theme without adjusting any settings and simply over-riding the default directory one.

Xarcell

Here is some screenshot of the avatar set I'm working on in case this influences a person's decision to vote on a person default avatar rather than a symbol. Can't decide on the shape of the face, so there is a screenshot of examples there that I'm working on. Also there is a screenshot of the skin colors that will be available.

If a person default avatar is selected, the avatar set will be most likely made to match, or the avatar will be altered in shape to match the set. Just depends on which looks better really.

AllanD

Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Matthew K.

When I was a developer, this was one things I was planning on implementing "into the theme". I was going to have a default avatar, and then a default male, and a default female for those who have set genders. Of your creations, I like the first the best. Maybe mix that up a little to get a default, and then a male / female.

Xarcell

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on January 24, 2014, 01:20:46 PM
When I was a developer, this was one things I was planning on implementing "into the theme". I was going to have a default avatar, and then a default male, and a default female for those who have set genders. Of your creations, I like the first the best. Maybe mix that up a little to get a default, and then a male / female.

This has been mentioned before about having a default male and a default female. However, when you really think about it, wouldn't that just be bloat? Simply because you have to have 3 default avatars altogether, which is redundant in my opinion.

What do others think?

Suki

If you are going to include genders you will have to include more than just the female and the male versions thats why I suggested a unique, genderless/"ethnic-less" one.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

AllanD

Quote from: Suki on January 24, 2014, 01:32:01 PM
If you are going to include genders you will have to include more than just the female and the male versions thats why I suggested a unique, genderless/"ethnic-less" one.

That's why I went with 8 since it is genderless.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Matthew K.

Really? Then why does SMF only support "male" and "female" by default...? In that case, we might as well rip that out too.

Xarcell

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on January 24, 2014, 01:57:18 PM
Really? Then why does SMF only support "male" and "female" by default...? In that case, we might as well rip that out too.

I don't follow you.

When you create an account, gender isn't required in most cases. So there is your default avatar. Most people that take the time to select gender, also select their own avatar.

Also, Gravatar is going to be added.

So to me, it's redundant to have a default male & female as well. Bloat. Having a gender selection isn't bloat, so no need to rip that out. Also, not everyone is "male" or female".

Although that's just my opinion. If a majority wanted a default avatar, default male, and a default female, I would make them. I have no problem there. IMO it's a bit too much, and would be better off as a mod.

Matthew K.

Maybe it is a bit much - however, my point is that if someone doesn't have an avatar but has set gender to female, show a default female avatar, if someone doesn't have an avatar but has set gender to male, show the default male avatar. Otherwise, if the user hasn't set gender, and doesn't have an avatar pull the default - non-gender specific avatar.

Is an extra condition and two extra images really considered 'bloat' these days? Everybody might not agree, but I think seeing gender specific default avatars is kind of a neat effect.

Xarcell

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on January 24, 2014, 02:12:56 PM
Maybe it is a bit much - however, my point is that if someone doesn't have an avatar but has set gender to female, show a default female avatar, if someone doesn't have an avatar but has set gender to male, show the default male avatar. Otherwise, if the user hasn't set gender, and doesn't have an avatar pull the default - non-gender specific avatar.

Is an extra condition and two extra images really considered 'bloat' these days? Everybody might not agree, but I think seeing gender specific default avatars is kind of a neat effect.

I can certainly see how it can be useful, but I still think it would be better off as a mod. I'm curious to know how Captain Arantor feels about it.

I also just created a new issue on Github, because I think it's time to update the gender selection. Several countries now officially recognize 3 genders. In the case of the gender specific default avatars, your looking at 3 additional avatars if done right. That would mean keeping up with 4 default avatars.

Chen Zhen

Xarcell,

Imo the first 5 images more or less reflect gender due to the detail of the faces, hair, etc. Perhaps that is just my perspective of those examples.

Why not use a more standard non-gender avatar but spice it up with color, shadowing, transparency etc.
Here are some basic examples:
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/origami-colored-pencil-icons-by-double-j-design/yellow-user-icon.html
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/oxygen-icons-by-oxygen-icons.org/Actions-im-invisible-user-icon.html
http://www.iconarchive.com/show/oxygen-icons-by-oxygen-icons.org/Actions-im-user-icon.html

Neutrality:
When/if using skin color perhaps it should be one that does not represent any racial skin color nor those that may typically represent gender. (ie. perhaps a medium green or transparency would be acceptable?)

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Xarcell

What if it was done like this?

Created a set of male & female avatars, with various hair styles, clothing, and skin color. Then a have barebones b/w avatar for the default?

Here are some examples,  and ignore the fact that the male & female have no hair & clothes. Would the default avatar used here work like it is?

Chen Zhen

For the default b&w avatar post some examples in purple, blue or green with some shadowing. ie. the color of the image in the 3rd link I previously posted. It might be a bit more appealing to the eye with some color.  No racial color is represented by ie. purple, green or blue (not unless you beat someone to a pulp).

The overall image now seems more suitable for a default avatar, at least to me anyway.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Arantor

Actually, the LGBTI community self-identifies with purple (in the way males are supposed to traditionally identify with blue and females with pink) so that is perhaps a slightly controversial option.

Chen Zhen

I forgot about blue representing males and I never heard of purple representing the LGBTI community although that makes sense if you mix the male/female colors together you more or less get purple.  I don't think any group is represented by green (sexual or racial that is) but I could be wrong. Perhaps a somewhat transparent b&w might be the best option.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Arantor

Chen Zhen

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Arantor

Technically green is the colour of the livery of the Betelgeusian fleet, not Martians ;)

Chen Zhen

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Advertisement: