News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Why can't I cancel subscription e=mails?

Started by DenimMage, January 25, 2014, 11:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenimMage

My e-mail that I get every so often says this:

"- If you are looking to unsubscribe from receiving such (security) announcements on ****@gmail.com in the future, please login to our community and *after logging in* set your preference by using this URL: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=notification; You can unsubscribe there."

The problem is that there is no unsubscribe option, no matter where I look. This has been an ongoing issue for many months, if not a year or two. I should NOT have to delete my account or change my e-mail to a non-existent one just to stop getting information from SMF. I am not loyal to SMF-- I'm just an off-and-on web developer and web consultant who has friends who are loyal to SMF. Let me choose what I get in my e-mail, please!

Arantor

There would be if you had more posts.

OK, here's the deal. SMF 2.0 is a bit stingy on permissions - don't ask me why, I don't know, I didn't build it, but it has been changed in 2.1 (current dev version) - and the permission which gives access to setting notification options is also the same setting that controls whether you can have a signature or not.

As you can imagine, limiting the signature is a useful anti-spam deterrent, so that's fixed at 10 posts. But the downside is that it removes more of the profile area than we'd like it to - which is why we changed it in 2.1 for this reason. This policy has been in effect for several years now, which is quite possibly why you have had this before.

If you would like to be removed, that's fine, I can prod one of the admins to do it for you.

DenimMage

Arantor

I've left a message with the admins here to deal with this for you - they're not available right now due to timezones and whatnot. Sorry for the inconvenience.

DenimMage

It's not an inconvenience, as time is not of the essence. But I appreciate your support. Thank you.

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: