News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What are the SMF colors?

Started by Xarcell, February 03, 2014, 06:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

I was told recently that they were black & orange. When I pick the logo, the colors are #ec5f34 and #303d46. Which aren't exactly black & orange. Anyone have the hex or CMYK of the colors?

kat

Firefox has an extension, named "Colorzilla". If you use that, you can get the colours pretty easily. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/colorzilla

青山 素子

It's actually a dark blue and orange, not black. (There's also a gold for the expanded logo.)

The colors are officially set up as Pantone shades, but it's best if the information comes from someone actively on a team. However, if there isn't a response by later today, I'll just post them here.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Xarcell

I wish SMF would make their branding information public. If it is, I can't find it.

青山 素子

I think it's because nobody has really ever asked specifically for them before.

If I remember right, the Pantone numbers are based on the uncoated swatches. I'd have to check my reference swatches at home to be sure. (I helped pick the colors.) The CMYK and RGB values are closest match and should be "good enough" for web graphics. It's not like everyone has a properly calibrated monitor to display them correctly.

SMF Orange:
        Pantone 158
        CMYK 0 61 97 0
        RGB #FF6308 (255, 99, 8)

SMF Blue:
        Pantone 2945
        CMYK 100 45 0 14
        RGB #0079DB (0, 121, 219)

SMF Gold:
        Pantone 121
        CMYK 0 69 11 0
        RGB #FFE34F (255, 227, 79)

I am curious as to why you need the exact colors. Mind giving a hint as to what you are up to?

Keep in mind that Simple Machines has registered trademarks for the logo, name, slogan, and letters, so you can't reproduce those in a commercial application without permission. (unless the policy changed, but it's still good to ask permission)
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Xarcell

Quote from: 青山 素子 on February 04, 2014, 04:13:31 PM
I think it's because nobody has really ever asked specifically for them before.

If I remember right, the Pantone numbers are based on the uncoated swatches. I'd have to check my reference swatches at home to be sure. (I helped pick the colors.) The CMYK and RGB values are closest match and should be "good enough" for web graphics. It's not like everyone has a properly calibrated monitor to display them correctly.

SMF Orange:
        Pantone 158
        CMYK 0 61 97 0
        RGB #FF6308 (255, 99, 8)

SMF Blue:
        Pantone 2945
        CMYK 100 45 0 14
        RGB #0079DB (0, 121, 219)

SMF Gold:
        Pantone 121
        CMYK 0 69 11 0
        RGB #FFE34F (255, 227, 79)

I am curious as to why you need the exact colors. Mind giving a hint as to what you are up to?

Keep in mind that Simple Machines has registered trademarks for the logo, name, slogan, and letters, so you can't reproduce those in a commercial application without permission. (unless the policy changed, but it's still good to ask permission)

Well, I tried making several graphics for SMF. Originally, I used the blue from the default theme, until I was told that wasn't really the brand colors. I was told by Kindred(I think), that the brand colors were black & orange. So I'm lost as to what they actually are, and what should be used.

Arantor

Two things.

1. I find it interesting how all the forum systems go for blue for their default theme for neutrality.

2. The SM brand != the SMF software brand... SM Blue, Orange and Gold are the Simple Machines brand colours, not the colours associated with any particular software. Remember, the plan was always to have more software than just SMF under the SM brand. And of course, remember that Windows' colour scheme and style changed drastically through the 1990s with Windows 3.1 and then Windows 95 while Microsoft's own branding did not.

青山 素子

Quote from: Xarcell on February 04, 2014, 07:40:26 PM
I was told by Kindred(I think), that the brand colors were black & orange. So I'm lost as to what they actually are, and what should be used.

The official colors of Simple Machines (the company and the brand) are what I posted.

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on February 04, 2014, 07:43:58 PM
1. I find it interesting how all the forum systems go for blue for their default theme for neutrality.

Blue seems to be the most culturally neutral color, so it makes sense.

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on February 04, 2014, 07:43:58 PM
2. The SM brand != the SMF software brand... SM Blue, Orange and Gold are the Simple Machines brand colours, not the colours associated with any particular software. Remember, the plan was always to have more software than just SMF under the SM brand. And of course, remember that Windows' colour scheme and style changed drastically through the 1990s with Windows 3.1 and then Windows 95 while Microsoft's own branding did not.

True enough, although traditionally the SMF software has used the Simple Machines colors. As for Microsoft and Windows, the four colors have remained the same up to the latest logo variation which is a single color. Microsoft's new logo uses the four Windows colors, though.
Motoko-chan

Arantor

Sure - but the point being made is that company != product branding ;) Even now, the company and product branding are different for Microsoft, they've just inverted the way they do it.

Hristo

Quote from: Arantor on February 04, 2014, 07:43:58 PM

Indeed. I always thought it's due to colorblind people. Blue is the only main RGB color they see closest to the original.

Advertisement: