News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Theme Concept

Started by Xarcell, February 04, 2014, 01:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

I was playing around and started editing the SMF 2.1 default theme. I aimed for black & orange, which is SMF's real brand colors. I also tried not to touch any HTML because of 2.0.x backwards compatibility issues. So this is done with CSS, but I did change 2 characters in the index.template.php and added a span in the subs.php. Still needs tons of tweaking.

Just wondering what the developers & managers thought of it has a possible 2.1 theme concept?

EDIT: I didn't show the search bar, userbox, or footer because I didn't want to put too much work into something there wasn't an interest in. So I only did the basic's...

Arantor

I like it. Others may not, but I like it.

As far as compatibility goes, I'm firmly of the opinion that the markup needs to change, partly because the markup is still aimed at IE6 requirements, and partly because I don't see how to actually enforce consistency without relaying out the markup to enforce a consistent style (like, for example, fixing the info center that currently redeclares cat_bar/catbg/title_bar/titlebg which then breaks in other places)

Antes

Xarcell

Quote from: Antes on February 04, 2014, 01:07:21 PM
Can you make this FLAT ? :P

I know, from what I hear the management team isn't into flat design ATM. Which is why the icons didn't change, and I can easily add back in the box-shadow gradient. Although, when I was doing this, I tried to make it easier to custom it and make other variants/designs from it. So kinda had to go with a minimalist design & CSS code(which means no gradients, removed alot of backgrounds).

Arantor

PhuriousGeorge

Xarcell

I could even make it responsive and IE8 compatiable, but I would have to ditch superfish.

Suki

I was going to propose to get rid of superfish anyways :)
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

AllanD

Flat is the In style now, looks really good though.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Arantor

Quote from: Suki on February 04, 2014, 04:29:48 PM
I was going to propose to get rid of superfish anyways :)

I have no objections to it going, providing the usability aspects are preserved. If you move off a menu, and it instantly disappears this is as bad as having a menu linger too long.

Antes

Advertisement: