News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Server Spam - Physical Memory Limit reached!

Started by Erikson, February 06, 2014, 01:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erikson

Dear's!

I ve running a SMF 2 on a TLD! Since three Months i got visit 500 - 1000 Spam Bot, Harvesting Bot and and and. I block the most of them with .httaccess. When i blocked them, again 1000`s of this comes again. My Servers Physical Memory Limit is 100%. So what can i do against them?

Best Regards!

Erikson
The best Forum Software? - SMF ./. The Best Support? - SMF-Support

Erikson

Hallo dear K@

Nice link, but really don't help me. The Problem, now it is solved was, that the Bots search for E-Mail addresses from my Users! The Target of the Bots was the TopLevelDomain. So i decide to change the Community in a Subfolder of my Root! I use the SMF Tool...

repair_settings.php

Works very good! Now i have not one SpamBot! But the other Problem i have now is, that the Avatars and Attachments does not work anymore. What i am doing wrong and what can i do? I use ADK Portal too. This works now again!

With best Regards!

Erikson

kat

That's good news! Have a look at your avatar and attachment settings. The paths are, probably, wrong.

Xarcell

Spam killed 9 of my SMF forum sites. I got tired of fighting them and closed all the sites in 2013.

青山 素子

Quote from: Xarcell on February 11, 2014, 10:15:06 AM
Spam killed 9 of my SMF forum sites. I got tired of fighting them and closed all the sites in 2013.

Between CloudFlare, Project Honeypot, and some subject-domain-specific questions for registration, I've been very successful at stopping spam. Heck, I even have one board where guest replies are allowed and only see about one spam message a month nowadays with that protection.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Erikson

Dear's, thanks for all your Answers! At present Time, i have not one Spam Bot there. As i wrote, there are only interessting in the Mail Accounts for my Users. I have now 3000 User on the Forum! No Problems at Spam at present Time. The Only BIG Problem i have is, who i can fix the Avatars and Attachment Settings! Can i do this in the Admin Panel? Or which File i must edit!

Best Regards!

Erikson

Storman™

Glad you having success preventing spam now  ;)

Regarding your issue around Avatars and Attachment Settings, can you start a new topic with full details in the SMF 2.0.x Support board.

Erikson

Done... ;)

Quote from: Storman™ on February 12, 2014, 06:13:24 AM
Glad you having success preventing spam now  ;)

Regarding your issue around Avatars and Attachment Settings, can you start a new topic with full details in the SMF 2.0.x Support board.

Best Regards!

Erikson

Xarcell

Quote from: 青山 素子 on February 11, 2014, 02:05:07 PM
Quote from: Xarcell on February 11, 2014, 10:15:06 AM

Between CloudFlare, Project Honeypot, and some subject-domain-specific questions for registration, I've been very successful at stopping spam. Heck, I even have one board where guest replies are allowed and only see about one spam message a month nowadays with that protection.

I was getting about 2-300 hundred spam posts a day. I used stop forum spam, and bad behavior mod. Although, I should have used honeypot.

Kindred

you should have used the option in repair_settings.php to correct the attachments and avatars,

However, yes.. you can adjust the URLs and paths in SMF admin under the attachments settings and avatars settings
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: