News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Menu editor

Started by lurkalot, February 16, 2014, 08:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

I can't remember what was said in the past about this, but was a built menu editor considered for 2.1 as a core feature?

I'd personally rather see this added than something like the "Likes" feature.  It's an essential function imo.

Oldiesmann

What advantage would this bring over the existing setup, besides making it a bit easier for those without coding skills to add new items? It's a nice option, but I really don't see us overhauling the menu system and adding an entire new interface for something like that, especially as it's more data we have to load from the database on every page.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

lurkalot

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 01, 2014, 03:05:33 PM

What advantage would this bring over the existing setup,

Thanks. Well you kind of answered your own question.

"making it a bit easier for those without coding skills to add new items." 

I'd say it would make it a lot easier, it's still one of the most commonly asked questions in the forums. (I think).

"It's a nice option." 

Not just nice, it would take SMF to a new level of user friendly, which I think is a big plus. Not everyone is good at coding.  Isn't it more important to have basic functions, before adding new features. I mean for example, 4989 people have downloaded "Menu editor lite" in two years. "Menu Buttons" has 41642 downloads.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, but you guys see these things from a coders point of view, and to you guys it's easy to do these things.  Try to think of it from the end users point of view, surely that's who you are developing this for. ;)

Sorck

What's wrong with having to install a mod to be able to create menu buttons through the admin CP? That way only users who want the feature need install it and it doesn't create a performance penalty for the other users.

It could be put in the core by adding a database table, a new set of functions in the admin CP (including an enable/disable button) and an integration hook (which would only exist when enabled). That should only be a small performance penalty for people who don't use it but there is still some (bigger DB backups, bigger FS requirements, slower admin CP load times). They are marginal though.

lurkalot

Quote from: Sorck on March 01, 2014, 05:53:25 PM

What's wrong with having to install a mod to be able to create menu buttons through the admin CP? That way only users who want the feature need install it and it doesn't create a performance penalty for the other users.

To get one that works you have to pay for it. ;) 

As for having it as core. Those that don't want to use it don't have to activate it, just like most core features. ;)

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

lurkalot

Quote from: emanuele on March 02, 2014, 04:07:03 AM
There is this too:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=498146.0
AFAIK works better than menu editor light.

emanuele, Thanks for that link, I'll give it a test. I didn't know this one existed, or I'd forgotten about it. 

I still reckon something like this should be added as core.  Or maybe an official SMF addon perhaps. ;) This one looks like it's compatible with portals, which is a bonus, the menu editor lite mod isn't, or at least it doesn't play nicely with TinyPortal, it strips all the TP admin buttons out.

lurkalot

emanuele.  OK just installed it, on the default theme only, the first thing I noticed its not compatible with any of my custom themes which is not good. (for me anyway).  Apart from that it looks fantastic.  Is it still being updated by any chance?

Antes

Advertisement: