News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Started by Krashsite, February 18, 2014, 04:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Took me days to find this.  It's in 1.1.19 and 2.0.7.  Avatar uploads in Profile were failing due to unwritable directory error.  They go to /attachments, permissions are correct (755 or 777), Package Manager reports directory as writable, post attachments work.

In Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> Avatar Settings, down at the bottom is 'Upload avatars to...'.  You can select 'Attachment directory' or 'Specific directory', which requires 'Upload directory' and 'Upload URL' paths.  It was set for 'Specific Directory', and both paths to /attachments were correct, but it doesn't work.  Must be set for 'Attachment directory' or upload fails.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Chen Zhen

Quote from: SMF Avatar settings page
This should not be the same as the server-stored directory.

It tells you not to set the specific directory to the default folder on that settings page.  The devs could put a help q-mark that contains a more detailed explanation I suppose but I understood the brief directive.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Suki

2.1 doesn't store avatars as attachments anymore so this would not be an issue.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

busterone

Interesting. Nice find Krash. I have been keeping up with the other topic concerning tootsie's forum.  I never ran into this since I have always stored uploaded avatars in the attachments directory.  Good to know this will not be a potential issue in 2.1

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: -Underdog- on February 18, 2014, 06:48:20 PM
  It tells you not to set the specific directory to the default folder on that settings page.  The devs could put a help q-mark that contains a more detailed explanation I suppose but I understood the brief directive.

An input check would be better, to reject an incorrect path.  Not a setting most users would mess with, but this is a damaged forum, and much has been done to it in an effort to retrieve lost avatars.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: