News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Preview problem when posting

Started by Valtam, March 03, 2014, 04:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtam

Hi everyone,

We currently have a strange issue with Preview. I have searched through the various threads here already, unfortunately we still have no solution. When a user goes to Preview on the first post, it takes them to a new page where you can see the Preview, so that bit is fine. If they then edit their post further on the new page and click on Preview again, it hangs on 'Fetching preview...' endlessly. The website is here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums Thank you.

kat

Rather than going through heaps of things, trying to figure this one out, you might want to have a look at THESE, because this seems to happen quite a bit. Usually, because of some mod, or a bad bit of coding that's been added.

I see that you've posted here, too:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=454726.msg3674791#msg3674791

Does that mean that the problem only happens if you use that theme? If so, that post would be better than this one.

Valtam

Thank you for your reply. The Preview problem is not theme specific, that initial thread assumes that it could be, but I can confirm that the issue is on Core as well. I have read through numerous 2.x.x threads, it is a common problem unfortunately.  I am happy to provide a test account if someone more experienced than myself would like to see what is going on with perhaps Firebug or some other tool. This I'm afraid, is beyond my ability to debug. Thank you.

kat

What mods do you have?

Is there anything that could be relevant, to this, in your error-log?

Valtam

Mods:

1.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin    3.9.3
2.    PM Informer    4.0.1
3.    RSS Feed Icon    1.1
4.    Default Avatar    2.3
5.    Enhanced Dropdown    1.3
6.    Hide SMF Version    1.0.6a
7.    Topic Solved    1.1.1
8.    Post Notifier    1.0
9.    Country Flags    2.1
10.    AvatarSelect    1.2.1
11.    Simple Youtube Video Embedder/BBC    1.1
12.    SCEditor4Smf    0.5.1

re. error-log - where is this located?

kat

Believe it, or not.... Admin>Error log. ;)

Valtam

More specifically, found it under Admin, Maintenance, Logs, Error log. There are no errors there that I can see that relate to this.

kat

What I'm finding odd, is that it works the first time, yet doesn't on the second one. That really is kinda weird, that.

I wonder if the cache has been corrupted, somehow? Have to your tried clearing that, in the "Forum maintenance" section?

Maybe, even, tried renaming the cookie, in "Server settings"? (You'll be logged out, probably)

Valtam

Under Maintenance I have run all tasks:

Check all files against current versions

Result:
SSI.php    2.0.4    2.0.7

was the only outstanding result there.

All other tasks run, Preview issue still there.

kat

I really don't know what else to suggest. Did you try renaming the cookie, in "Server settings"? (You'll be logged out, probably)

Valtam

Quote from: K@ on March 03, 2014, 08:40:19 AM
I really don't know what else to suggest. Did you try renaming the cookie, in "Server settings"? (You'll be logged out, probably)

Yes, I did thanks.

kat

OK... We have to be detectives, now, I guess....

I assume that everything worked, fine, until just before you posted, originally. Between the time that everything was OK and when it went weird, what did you do? Install a mod? Edit some code, or anything?

Valtam

Could I uninstall all of the mods, then test Preview? Then enable each one, one at a time?

kat

Or, just uninstall each one and test it. Might be good to read my sig, first, though. ;)

Valtam

Are you able to debug this for us, with a test account?

kat

Not really, coz we won't be able to see any more than you can.

But, if you create one and post the details, anyway, someone might have one of those "AHA!!" moments, if we're lucky. :)

Valtam

Even with something like Firebug, it won't help you?

TheKnown

try going into your site error log, this can be found in cpanel  -> error log and see if anything is listed in their.

the alternative is to download fresh files from the 2.0.7 upgrade pack, uninstall all mods upload the fresh files and install each mod one by one again see what one causes the issue, but try first option first.

also backup the files before doing the alternative.

using firebug will not help all that much.

Valtam

Found the culprit, it was the WYSIWYG custom editor SCEditor4Smf 0.5.1

meemzo

I'm hoping the original poster or anyone else can help me with this issue.  I too just installed SCEditor4Smf 0.5.1 and the same preview thing started on my site.  I uninstalled at but it is still happening.  I assume from the changes it made to one of my files.  Anybody else able to solve this issue if they had it?

Advertisement: