Social Media Integration

Started by Kimmie, March 05, 2014, 09:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimmie

Facebook, Twitter, etc are such popular things now, it would make sense that these things should be a default feature. It doesn't have to be anything major.

What I would like to see, is something just for the admin side of things. Something that would allow us to share threads on these places. We have a twitter account, but we have to post manually all the time and it can be a real pain.

There are a few mods here, but from the looks of it, they have all been abandoned.

Dzonny

Share, like, tweet and g+ are already a feature of 2.1 version as far as i know. Not auto-share thing though, that could be done via mods normally.

Illori

Quote from: Dzonny on March 05, 2014, 09:16:24 AM
Share, like, tweet and g+ are already a feature of 2.1 version as far as i know.

like is a feature of 2.1 but not share to social media, tweet or g+

Dzonny

Quote from: Illori on March 05, 2014, 09:32:35 AM
Quote from: Dzonny on March 05, 2014, 09:16:24 AM
Share, like, tweet and g+ are already a feature of 2.1 version as far as i know.

like is a feature of 2.1 but not share to social media, tweet or g+
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=519032.0

Illori

that is a suggestion not something that is guaranteed also linking to a team only topic does not help the general users too well.

Antes

To be clear, there was a plan for adding those buttons (but not integration like Login/Auto Share etc...). Its too early to talk about it. We'll inform our users in next update topics IF we gonna do something like this. Please keep following our Dev Blog.

Thank you :)

I also suggest not to link private boards to public :)

Kimmie

I don't mean one where the users can link up on login, or anything like that. More like just something simple so that admins can share on the site's twitter straight from the site, etc.

Suki

I don't think this will be integrated as a default feature. Not saying its a final say, just saying I don't think we will include it.

There are several mods for adding share icons, I myself have one: http://missallsunday.com/modsite/sa.single/mid.1/ and nope, it hasn't been abandoned ;)
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kimmie

Well, at this point in time, I don't want one that users have access to. Just admins. If any of them can be turned off to them, I may try it.

Suki

What you want is very specific then and definitely not something we will add as a forum feature.

Adding permissions to that mod is not particularly difficult although it seems counter productive to limit the persons who can share content to just admins.

I have a hunch what you want is something different than a share mod, perhaps it will suit you better to use a site like twitterfeed.com which automatically post your content to your twitter account via rss, you can handle which boards do you want to share.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

also, do note...  it has long been the policy of SMF to try to avoid third party crap which would require a full new release when they change their API (as idiots like FB frequently do - and as we have already encountered once with the paypal integration that we do have)

A mod is much more easily updated than the whole codebase.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

AllanD

I see what Kimmie is saying though, you almost have to have Social media on your forum. So why not be a step up on others and have it hard coded. Maybe not have this permission based but having a share field would be something great.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Suki

Several points actually:

- Makes maintenance more difficult.
- Forces us to make new releases when third party sites decides to change their share format. It happens regularly.
- Not everyone wants  to have social media.
- It conflicts with themes, if we made it source edits only, themes would not have the ability to change/remove/edit/style them.
- There are mods for that already, not all of them are abandoned, mine isn't and I took an extra effort to not make any template edit so it would be easier to install for users.
- A mod is much more easy to update.

Lets see this scenario, imagine that facebook decides to deprecate their iframe share functionality in favor of whatever new API they have.

If this would be a default feature, we will be forced to release a new version, with all the hassles that comes along with for both the admins and us.

If you're using a mod, it is much more easier to uninstall it and install a new version or depending on how the mod is coded, you can simply upload a file and your mod will be updated and ready to go.

Lastly, I'm not against adding such features, we just don't have the manpower to make it work.

Antes

Advertisement: