Upgrade from 1.19 to 2.07 - upgrade.php errors

Started by outdoors-stuff, March 05, 2014, 01:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoors-stuff

Hi am still totally stuck with this update.

Am not willing to update the live db directly as I'm getting so many errors on the trial attempts. So working on a copy of the db/smf files on our webserver.

But all the errors fall into 2 issues:

1) it whinges that the language files are out of date. (See http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=517427.msg3673069#msg3673069 for previous attempt to ask for help on this and screen grabs).
This is despite having downloaded the 2.0.7 large upgrade zip file I don't know how many times, extracted and uploaded it too many different new folders (so there wasn't anything in it to be not overwritten) - with just the settings and attachments file/folders copied across from the old version or to new copies of the current 1.19 folders (if it's not overwriting then it's lying to me in the ftp program (beyond compare)) and set the settings and settings.bak files to be writable by provider group and other (ie 777 permissions).

2) it looks like it'll copy, but it initially says it's updating from YABB SE (what's that?) and then fails on a theme update saying it can't find the db...

In all cases I've updated the settings.php file to point to the copy of the db not the original (learned from the first attempt where it was trying to look at the live system).

Have now given up on v2.07 and tried v2.06 - but exactly the same results.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? As I'm beyond baffled...

And what's really weird is my first trial attempt worked without any issue at all, but then some pesky users got in the way and added more posts :P (so I couldn't just quietly swap the DB and files into the live area without anyone noticing - which would have solved a lot of aggro...)

kat

Is your forum UTF-8, by any chance?

I've just looked in the languages directory of the upgrade and, for some reason, it doesn't seem to have UTF-8 files in it, which is a bit odd.

If you need those, they're here:

http://download.simplemachines.org/?smflanguages;lang=english (Yank English)

http://download.simplemachines.org/?smflanguages;lang=english_british (Real English)

Other languages:

http://download.simplemachines.org/?smflanguages

SMF was developed from YABB. Probably the remains of some old code lying around, I guess.

outdoors-stuff

That seemed like a very sensible suggestion K@ - and have a feeling we did change the forum to UTF-8 a while ago to try and get round a problem some of our mac users were having with weird characters...

But nope, still the same error... :(

Chen Zhen

When you first were going to upgrade why did you not put the forum in maintenance mode to stop people from adding new posts?
Imo just put the forum in maintenance and copy the db anew just prior to the actual upgrade.

Is the test upgrade something you are attempting on the server itself or locally (just curious)?
So you created a new folder and I assume copied all your forum files into it, then copied the db, adjusted the Settings.php file.
Did you also run the repair_settings.php tool to set the new db settings for url's & paths? This should be done prior to applying the upgrade package.  If you do not use the tool it will throw errors when it can not find the theme paths.

Here is some step-by-step instruction I wrote for the procedure which may guide you:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=518946.0

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

outdoors-stuff

Wish I had put it in maintenance mode!

But it was initially just a test to see if a) the upgrade was going to be troublesome and b) to see what differences there were with v2 (not been able to find any documentation saying what the differences were - both to admin and the end users, but had a vague (though now unjustifyable) feeling that it was quite different)

And when that worked, it didn't seem worth worrying about if the users added new posts, as should be easy enough to replicate the process now I'd sussed that you had to also change the settings.php file to point to the copied db...

Obviously, I put the forum in maintenance mode to prevent new posts before trying to run the "real" update (albeit on a copy still). But that hit problem after problem. I was thinking about going back to the previous attempt that had worked, but it would be missing the most recent posts... (And I may well have messed it up with one of the update attempts that pointed to the wrong place now...)

Test is on the server. I've tried and failed to get my head around WAMP etc in the past and it's just not something I can install myself.

Have tried to run repair_settings.php but it doesn't appear to have a save button... Also cache directory wasn't found (probably a v2 thing that v1.19 doesn't have). And attachments directory is pointing to the live forum, not the copy (all other settings seem fine).

kat

outdoors-stuff

Sorry K@ - ghostly reply to ancient post, but hit such a terminal block on this I gave up :(

Having a second attempt and got to sameplace as last time. Screengrab attached.

Just no idea where to go from here. If it can't even tell me what the problem is I don't see how it can be overcome :(

outdoors-stuff

There is still hope - just found this http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525636.msg3724605#msg3724605 which suggests it might a theme issue.

But checking, we were on the default :( so back to square one again

But worth a check for others in the same boat - it does seem I'm far from the only one having hassles with upgrading from v1x to v2x...

kat

Ugh! "Unknown error". Helpful, huh?

It's a bit late in the day, now. But, is there, somewhere, a backup of the entire forum and database, from before you attempted the upgrade? Long shot, sure... But, could your host possibly have one?

margarett

Are you trying to upgrade to 2.0.7 or are you already on 2.0.8?

Do you still have a 1.1.19 backup? Files + DB? That's something I'd be interested in debugging...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

outdoors-stuff

Fortunately I remembered we had major hassles previously, so did this on a copy of the site (ie a backup that i made and reimported ;-) So the live forum is all fine and happy, just not upgradeable...

The live forum is still on v1.19 - we gave up on the upgrade last year and this is just another "we really ought to be on a more recent version for security updates" attempt while the forum's being a bit quieter than usual.

So was trying to do a large update from v1.19 to 2.08 as the current version available.

As it's a private forum I would have to get agreement from the committee to hand over files and db - but an offer of help like that sounds useful :)

margarett

Quote from: outdoors-stuff on September 19, 2014, 09:02:47 AM
Fortunately I remembered we had major hassles previously, so did this on a copy of the site
Smart move ;)

Quote from: outdoors-stuff on September 19, 2014, 09:02:47 AM
As it's a private forum I would have to get agreement from the committee to hand over files and db - but an offer of help like that sounds useful :)
I understand that. Let me know if you want me to check it.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: