News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Normal logout session timeout system

Started by Black Tiger, March 06, 2014, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

I'm starting to love SMF, but the login timeout system is not very good. I would like to request a system like vBulletin and phpBB and other forums out there are using.

What do I mean?
If you login on an SMF forum, you can either choose to:
1.) remind your login, so you will stay logged in
2.) Choose a certain time to be logged in, for example 60 minutes.

My forum default is 90 minutes. My cookie timeout is 15 minutes.

Normally on forums, when the user does not choose to remember his login session, he will be automatically logged out when he's inactive during *cookie timeout setting* which is often defaulted to 15 minutes.

On SMF, this won't happen and that's a pity. You can choose to be logged in for 60 minutes for example, but even that does not look at inactivity. Even if you are busy and the 60 minutes are up, you will be logged out, no matter what.
I understand this can be great for forums where people have to pay to be able to visit for x time but most forums won't be needing this. It's a nice extra.

But a lot of users don't log out, and being automatically logged out after XX minutes of inactivity is a good thing. I can't set my forums to 15 minutes, because then they will be logged out no matter what, which is disturbing and irritating for the users.

So that's why I would like to make a request to build a normal system for this, as explained and as present in other forum systems.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Black Tiger

LoL I feel stupid. :-[
I had this cookie set to 15 minutes.
Now you say this... I just remembered I changed it to a half hour when I was testing some things.

Thank you!

Post can be moved/closed/deleted. :)
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: