News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems "Backup Database"

Started by sangham.net, March 10, 2014, 10:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangham.net

Dear SMF Team, Supporter and friends,

since a while I have problem uploading a Backup when "Compress the file with gzip." is enabled. Sometimes I get an error message "this or that is missing" (I don't remember exactly but something like "the file you requested does not exist), sometimes I am directed to an strange empty page in with orange background and a red frame in the head part. If disabled, it seems to work well.

If you have any idea about the reason and how to solve for a internet and software dummy like me, I am happy to receive it.

Colin

Hi Johann,

Are you using the SMF backup? If so it is discouraged as it can be buggy for larger databases. I would recommend using PHPMYADMIN or cPanel backup.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

sangham.net

Quote from: Colin on March 10, 2014, 10:56:29 PM
Hi Johann,

Are you using the SMF backup? If so it is discouraged as it can be buggy for larger databases. I would recommend using PHPMYADMIN or cPanel backup.

Thanks for your care Colin,

yes, I used SMF backup and its about it. Thanks for your hints. I "fear" that I neither have this software nor would be able to use it for now. I am usually very "modest" in regard of such.

kat

Click my sig, Johann.

The page that opens tells you much about backing up, including the database. :)

a10

Just for the record, am sometimes using the built-in backup (in addition to phpmyadmin & sqldumper, at least one of them should work whenever a restore is needed lol), getting error as OP with gzip ticked.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

sangham.net

Thanks for your hints,
K@, what should I say... livin' lt die *shrumm* We will lose sooner or later all, so no place for to much head ache. (some will think: "no he is taking, later when he has troubles he will come and stress again. Hop3less")  :)

So all in all, I am personal pretty fine. Just a normal thing.  :) No problem with sideways, just thought I have a real problem.

sangham.net

Quote from: Colin on March 10, 2014, 10:56:29 PM
Hi Johann,

Dear Colin,

or maybe somebody somebody else can help me out. I have found an access to phpMyAdmin, but I am a little overwhelmed with all the new things there.
How can I do a backup there?

Thanks a lot in advance!

kat

Click on my sig, Johann. The page that opens will give you various options. Maybe CPanel>Backups will be a bit easier, for you?

sangham.net

Quote from: K@ on March 15, 2014, 02:05:52 PM
Click on my sig, Johann. The page that opens will give you various options. Maybe CPanel>Backups will be a bit easier, for you?

Thanks a lot K@

The old "looking for a tree in a forest" thing. I was looking for a "sig" function on msql-panel...  :laugh: Thanks for your patient. It seems that a download is running. How ever, the action is similar like it made via the Admin panel. It seems that my connection or anythings else is to slow.  So every download over 5Mb is a mostly only a short cut of the whole. I am in Cambodia. 254KB

After 10 min I am at 976kb... and it seems as if it has stopped.

Any hints?

:)

Sir Osis of Liver

Look for a backup function in the database section of your host control panel.  It usually creates a backup file on the server, which you can then download.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

sangham.net

A steady backup is made there. Download: Same, same...  :) this I have gave up a longer time ago. Its GB amount.
How ever, this backup there would have the "same" possibilities?

a10

Quote from: Krash. on March 15, 2014, 03:20:23 PM
Look for a backup function in the database section of your host control panel.  It usually creates a backup file on the server, which you can then download.

.... www.mysqldumper.net
Takes a little time to set up, then it's fantastic. Takes care of timeouts etc, creates bu in the normal ftp folder. Many extra tools.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Sir Osis of Liver

I've found that MSD doesn't work on all hosts, and if you don't password protect it (not obvious), it's a major security risk.  But have used it successfully where other methods didn't work.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

sangham.net

Thanks a10, for your hint
Thanks Krash, again for your care.

Would be somehow great to have a good SMF intern backup and restore tool.

_()_
Johann

Storman™

QuoteI've found that MSD doesn't work on all hosts, and if you don't password protect it (not obvious), it's a major security risk.  But have used it successfully where other methods didn't work.

Otherwise it's easy enough to simply tighten the MSD folder permissions and re-adjust when you need it. As with any application good pratice should apply.

I use MSD with a cron job so that it auto generates a daily backup (with perl), copies the resulting backup to a Amazon S3 depository, then deletes the original backup file. S3 is then configured to keep rotational daily, weekly, monthly backups etc. You need to play with all the options to understand whats available but it's a powerful solution.

sangham.net

And I thought Chinese is difficult  :laugh: I guess that all twenty years far way form me. And this is even just the skin deep language. Sweep job, doing sweeping the floor or washing it. Such I would know.

Thanks for all your hints Storman™

_()_
Johann

a10

And it can be used in it's simplest form >

1: log in
2: click 'backup'
3: sit down and drink a cup of tea
4: smile & relax, knowing there's a fresh & complete backup available.

Advertisement: