News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Some php files seems to be broken after ftp download

Started by sangham.net, March 10, 2014, 11:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangham.net

Dear SMF Team, supporter and SMF friends,

while downloading some files from themes/default via explorer I got a time out/access error. After looking into the directory it seemed that some files have disappeared like index.css and tp...css also some php-files are displayed with a ~ at the end, like Display.template.php~, Display.template.php~...

Not sure if other stuff is also gone.

The css, files that remembered I copied form our usual theme into it again (I don't know the value and relation of default and usual themes).

When I look into the server side directory the php files are displayed as normal and a second with ~

So far all seems to work. But I am have a little worry if this could damage something if I just progress as usual.

Should I upload this files again? How to check if there are not some files lost? How to get the right files to upload them again?

Any wise hints are more then welcome.

Sir Osis of Liver

The files with a ~ appended to the extension are backups created by package manager when a mod is installed.  It's the original file before the mod edit was made to same file without the ~.

Are you using your host file manager or ftp client to download the files?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

sangham.net

Dear Krash,

thanks for your care.

QuoteAre you using your host file manager or ftp client to download the files?

I usually use simply the Windows Explorer. In cases when I have troubles with access I use the host File manager to upload files but did not often in SMF cases.

Quote~ appended to the extension are backups created by package manager when a mod is installed.

I see, yes, the date is also an indication.

QuoteIt's the original file before the mod edit was made to same file without the ~.

I actually did not made any mod installation and modification work. I was working on some css issues and wanted to download some php files to inspect them and figure out the some functions. So just a download "crash". Since I saw that index.css and some other files which I was aware that they have excised in this directory have have been gone, I started to wonder and worry.

I attached a screen shot, I am sure your eye knows better where to look. Its a part of the directory.

Aside of the missing files and the maybe useful control if others are missing, I am maybe over nervous in regard of the php-files in this case.

Sir Osis of Liver

You cannot download files with Windows Explorer.  You have at least one mod installed (KitSitemap.template.php).  What are you trying to fix?

- R. Waters

sangham.net

Quote from: Krash. on March 10, 2014, 11:58:25 PM
You cannot download files with Windows Explorer.
"Cannot"means "should not" here, Krash? Actually I do this all the time in this way. Its just troublesome if the internetconection is not very stable, you get easy errors and less reports.

Quote from: Krash. on March 10, 2014, 11:58:25 PM
You have at least one mod installed (KitSitemap.template.php).  What are you trying to fix?

I got aware that some files have disappeared, while simply copy them. Now I am not sure if I should prove the list and how I could prove the list and for the case some are missing, how to upload them anew, if necessary. Not sure if other files have gone.

Maybe there is any directory where the list of files in the listed? Its a real "much guessing" area, so please sorry if not very in detail. Its not so that something does not work for now, but a "Could it be that something could be broken" and "How to prove or check it".

Sir Osis of Liver

Have no idea what you're doing.  Windows Explorer is the Windows file manager, not an ftp client, and cannot be used to download files from your host account.  Windows Internet Explorer is the browser, and can also not be used to d/l files. 

To d/l files from your host account to your local computer, you must use either an ftp client (like FileZilla) or the file manager in your host control panel.  Either will show you a directory listing of files in your account.

- R. Waters

sangham.net

Quote from: Krash. on March 11, 2014, 12:15:19 AM
Have no idea what you're doing.  Windows Explorer is the Windows file manager, not an ftp client, and cannot be used to download files from your host account.  Windows Internet Explorer is the browser, and can also not be used to d/l files. 
Its the normal windows explorer (like the screen short) I used, not "internet explorer". Its "no" problem to use explorer as file manager for ftp.
Quote from: Krash. on March 11, 2014, 12:15:19 AM
To d/l files from your host account to your local computer, you must use either an ftp client (like FileZilla) or the file manager in your host control panel.  Either will show you a directory listing of files in your account.
Thanks a lot for your advises. I am a little aware of it. Although not using it.

I thought more on a documentation list "this files are included in the installation", or something like that, where I could check if other files are maybe missing. Not sure if the "Check all files against current versions" function in the admin panel would prove and report such things (for example) as well.

Thanks a lot for your patient and effort to try to understand my "case" and to have patient with my bad english skill.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can d/l the 2.0.7 Large Ugrade Package, unzip it, and see all the files in a local directory.  You can also upload them to your forum, which will overwrite existing files and give you a fresh install, less any mods or edits.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Well bugger me with a fish fork.  Never heard of anyone using it for that purpose, but does appear you can use Windows Explorer as an ftp client.  Can't quite make it work, but looks doable.  Will tinker with it tomorrow.

- R. Waters

sangham.net

Thanks for your hints Krash.

Yes I am a kind of old timer and software minimalist. Just go to "my network place" in the main directory and you would be able to add ftp connections.

kat

One thing to be aware of, Johann...

On the internet, "InTeRnEt.php" and "internet.php" would be totally different files.

Windows, being crap, would treat those as exactly the same files and one would overwrite the other.

Just something to be aware of. ;)

sangham.net

Thanks for your hint, K@!Me Didn't know, actually.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Johann B on March 11, 2014, 02:26:06 AM
Yes I am a kind of old timer and software minimalist. Just go to "my network place" in the main directory and you would be able to add ftp connections.

It was connecting to ftp server last night, but getting a permissions error, possibly because am using a proxy.  Will try again soon as I have time.

As far as being an old timer, first bad code I wrote was in Fortran on punch cards.

- R. Waters

kat

Quote from: Johann B on March 11, 2014, 03:11:04 PM
Thanks for your hint, K@!Me Didn't know, actually.

Pleasure, matey!

'eck, Krash, you must be almost my age! ;)

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

kat

The ones I used were those cream-coloured cardboard ones...

sangham.net

long, long retreat from internet and rebirth on SMF...   :)

I guess it should be solved marked, although I am not sure...  ::)

Advertisement: