News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Moving Server

Started by misterdan, October 04, 2005, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterdan

For some reason my current host has a whole lot of down time, so I've decided to move.
I created a backup from the forum, but my question is, how would I move the site to the new server?

Fresh install and then do what with backup? or is there something else?

Thanks,
Dan

misterdan

misterdan

still, what does backup forum do, what would I need it for and how would I use it? (the option in admin -> forum maintnance)

dtm.exe

Quote from: misterdan on October 04, 2005, 09:34:29 PM
still, what does backup forum do, what would I need it for and how would I use it? (the option in admin -> forum maintnance)

That's your database.  If you want to migrate your forum over to a new host, you'll need that.

misterdan

Ok, so I have the database, but I seem to have a problem uploading it. Since my server only allows for one database. The only way to get into myphp is if i already have a user/pass, plus it only allows me to export, not import. So would I create a database and copy and paste (if so how)? or is there something I'm missing? Is import supposted to be under exort or vise-versa?

Also, Is it absolutely necessary for me to upload all the files from my previous ftp to the new ftp if I have the database, why or why not or how?

Thanks,
Dan

dtm.exe

Quote from: misterdan on October 05, 2005, 04:59:02 PM
Ok, so I have the database, but I seem to have a problem uploading it. Since my server only allows for one database. The only way to get into myphp is if i already have a user/pass, plus it only allows me to export, not import. So would I create a database and copy and paste (if so how)? or is there something I'm missing? Is import supposted to be under exort or vise-versa?

Also, Is it absolutely necessary for me to upload all the files from my previous ftp to the new ftp if I have the database, why or why not or how?

Thanks,
Dan

If you cannot import a database (by clicking on the SQL tab in phpMyAdmin), you should contact your host and ask them to upload it for you.

It's not *required*; although you will lose all template modifications, themes, mods, etc. if you don't upload the same files.

misterdan

my bad. I do have an import function.

Ok, so heres the deal...
I made a new database, new user and new pass

I went to phpmyadmin and went to query -> import files -> I found the file called "user_pass-complete_2005-10-04.sql.gz" ; compression: autodetect. character set: utf8

When I click go I recieve this error:

"Server: localhostlocalhost
Error
SQL query:
# ==========================================================
#
# Database dump of tables in `user_pass`
# October 04, 2005, TIME AM
#
# ==========================================================
#
# Table structure for table `smf_attachments`
#
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `smf_attachments`

MySQL said: Documentation
#1046 - No database selected
[ Back ]"

What just happened?

Also, I went to the repair_settings.php file (which I uploaded to my site) I am using an old backup, waiting for my previous host to get back online before I update the files, and changed the settings to reflect the new database name, user, and pass. I did not change the prefix. I also changed the addresses to the recommended addresses. When I click save and go to the main page I recieve this error: "Table 'smf.smf_settings' doesn't exist" I'm assuming this is because of the database, correct?

Thanks,
Dan

Elmacik

as phpMyAdmin tells to you, you have to select or get in a database before you can run a SQL query.
there is  a dropdown on the left side. select the database thats the SMF installed in and then run the user_pass-complete_2005-10-04.sql.gz  file again over phpMyAdmin. (just for case, select GZipped and NOT autodetect)
Home of Elmacik

Advertisement: