Diary for the forum

Started by bharat_forum, March 20, 2014, 12:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bharat_forum

Is it possible to add a diary on the forum which is similar to this one: http://forum.mamka.ru/journal.php

Kindred

you will have to explain in much more detail than just linking to a page (in a language which most people can not read) and saying "like this"

that is almost useless.

describe exactly WHAT you are trying to accomplish
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bobby

I think it's similar a blog, and there're some mods like that!

bharat_forum

I am looking for a diary which is similar to the diaries which are used on Invision Power Board. I have blogs now but it is not the same.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bharat_forum

Don't you know what is it? It is similar to blogs but I would like to make it more secure and with more options like diaries on Invision Power Bord.

Bobby

Well, I don't use IPB so I don't know about Diary, and unfortunately there are no mods or something like Diary on SMF!

Lexi P

As far as i know they are also called blogs on IPB. My IPB family forum dont have any diary option.

Antes

I think blog mod with small language trick (changing blog into diary) do the trick. I don't see any difference between diary & blog.

bharat_forum

It doesn't matter how it will be called blog or diary but I would like the same blog like on IPB, any suggestions how to do so? Is it also possible to convert SMF to IPB?

Lexi P

Quote from: bharat_forum on March 22, 2014, 04:07:23 PM
It doesn't matter how it will be called blog or diary but I would like the same blog like on IPB, any suggestions how to do so? Is it also possible to convert SMF to IPB?

I am not sure that anyone here at SMF will tell you how to convert to another software. I mean everyone here uses SMF and this IS an SMF support site. That would be like walking into the Pepsi plant and asking for a Diet Coke.

Biology Forums

Check the modification section, there is a full-fledged blog modification there. I think it works with a portal too. Don't give up on SMF so quickly, you can do heaps of things with it.

Kindred

nope... I have been on the internet since before it officially existed - and I have never heard anyone use the term diary.

There are several blog mods...   from ones that just display one board in blog style to something which installs a whole separate type of message table and interface...

As for "just like IPB"  -------   I will say it once more.
Saying "just like this" is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can not say that enough, because some people don't seem to understand it, even though I've said it several dozen times.

If you want a mod or a feature, then take the time to CLEARLY and SPECIFICALLY document and STATE what you actually want, in terms of display, functionality and action.
DO NOT say "I want someone to make it like "this" -- because there is a very good chance that YOU are the only person who understand "what this" actually means.
Слaва
Украинi

Mstcool

What are the "more options" that IPB has, anyways?

Diaries and Blogs are pretty much the same. Just different names and maybe a different layout. But...having a blog on your forum will do the trick! Just edit the files and change the name "blog" to "diary". :p

azasmith

So, took the time to run this through google translate and I've not seen anything like this for SMF. To outline it's function:

Each member runs their own blog (called a diary) on the forum. I'm not sure if it's open to all members, or if it's invite only, but judging by the page views and comments, I'd suggest it's all members. Other members then comment, this other members also have their own blog they can post to.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=398380.0 - this would've been what he was looking for, but the mod author seems to have pulled the plug on it.

Hope this helps. If you want help converting from SMF to IPB then I would suggest going over to IPB forums, they'll probably have a conversion tool or something similar.

Kindred

No... It still exists,  Adk just moved all of their mods to their own site.
Слaва
Украинi

bharat_forum

At the moment I am using PmxBlogs, they have more functions than other blogs but still I find IPB blogs much more functional. Please have a look at this blog on IPB, it is in Russian but if you just click on any of these blogs you will get an idea what I mean. http://forum.detochka.ru/journal.php

brynn

I'm not familiar with all the features of blogs.  But I suppose SMF Articles could be used LIKE a diary/blog/journal.  You could make a category for each member, and they could write their journal entries as articles.  But there would be no way to prevent other members from putting articles in someone else's category.  That would have to be an understanding or rule, not to post in someone else's area.  Although you could limit it somewhat by putting those who want to write journals in a certain member group, and allow only that group to write articles.

SMF Articles would still have all the security that you have on your forum.  But, admitedly, it certainly lacks many features that dedicated diary/blog/journal mods/apps must have.  Edit -  There are some other articles mods too, but I don't have links to them handy.

Just a thought, in case you can't find a blog mod   :)

Kindred

brynn,

Sorry, but no...   articles are not the same as blogs.

bharat_forum,

I will say this one more time...

Quote from: Kindred on March 22, 2014, 07:37:58 PM
Saying "just like this" is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can not say that enough, because some people don't seem to understand it, even though I've said it several dozen times.

If you want a mod or a feature, then take the time to CLEARLY and SPECIFICALLY document and STATE what you actually want, in terms of display, functionality and action.
DO NOT say "I want someone to make it like "this" -- because there is a very good chance that YOU are the only person who understand "what this" actually means.

In other words - once more - do not just point to a link and say "like this"
1- we don't understand Russian.
2- most of us are not going to go to another site and work our way through every option that site has in an effort to understand WTF you are asking for.
3= even if we did go to that site, we have no idea what we're looking at or what features you consider important...

SO STOP DOING THAT!!!!!

If you have a request, then WRITE IT OUT, CLEARLY!

BTW: moving this to mod requests, because it is very obviously not a support request.
Слaва
Украинi

bharat_forum

I posted an example so that you can see what I mean, you don't need to know Russian to see that. I just like the interface of IPB blogs and would really like to have something similar. I like that all messages are separated by date, you can even choose the color of the blog, on the right side you have a complete profile of the blogger. Also you can choose who can read messages and let them read to the friends only. I can do the same on Pmx blogs as well but somehow this function doesn't work.

azasmith

Quote from: Kindred on March 23, 2014, 01:48:53 AM
No... It still exists,  Adk just moved all of their mods to their own site.

I do apologise, I must've missed that memo...

Bharat, this is as close as you'll get without custom development. http://www.smfpersonal.net/downloads.html;sa=view;down=263

Go with IPB if this doesn't fulfil your needs.

bharat_forum

Thanks for the link, I just wonder if it is the same as Pmxblog? I am using it at the moment.

Advertisement: