News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Visits, but few Registrations

Started by ghalt, March 21, 2014, 11:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justyne

In some communities that often isn't all that wise and sometimes also not what established members want. A bit of privacy/exclusivity/ first line of protection is fine. In my community, for example, we deal with a lot of plagiarism of creative works submitted by members so we definitely have areas that are not visible to the whole wide world. Sure, it doesn't protect works 100% but it at least limits the amount of "drive-by" infringement. Usually, people are less inclined to take things not theirs if the taking involves too much effort.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Jade Elizabeth

I once has a member who signed up to post poems by other members...on our board LOL.

We couldn't tell if they were accidentally doing it, or if they were trying to post some sort of feedback or what! Was very bizarre!!
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Arantor

You mean like a spammer copy/pasting other posts to build what smells like legitimacy on an account?

Jade Elizabeth

Nope, she posted two poems that were Runic's actually, and then she never posted again. I think she was trying to post poems she liked, and she was just a bit lost!
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Justyne

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on August 05, 2014, 07:06:26 AM
I once has a member who signed up to post poems by other members...on our board LOL.

We couldn't tell if they were accidentally doing it, or if they were trying to post some sort of feedback or what! Was very bizarre!!

How peculiar. I had people do it with malicious intent before, down to identity theft. It was a very unpleasant experience to see my work posted on other sites under my name without my consent. They'd even request feedback in my name and then discuss works they'd not written, editing and "improving" them. I was quite at disturbed by the experience. A few of my members have made similar experiences with their creative work, which has resulted in my community having some gated content to reduce these issues.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Jade Elizabeth

I would have freaked out, that would be horrible!

I've had someone on my chat forum only copy and paste other peoples posts. It literally took us a month to realise because they were copied and pasted as replies to topics. 200 posts later the deja vu was unmistakeable XD.

Advertisement: