Issues with search system

Started by Black Tiger, March 21, 2014, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

I think there might be some issues with the search system of SMF.
I searched for a part of a thread title on my forums, with custom search index present and the thread was not found. Very odd.

But let's keep it here at SMF with some reproducable oddness of the search system in SMF Mod Site.

1.) Visit the mod site. Click the advanced mod search option, select 2.0.7 (for example) and put in a name in the Author field, for example Arantor.
You will be presented with 22 pages of mods, which are not from Arantor for the most.

2.) Visit the mod site. In the normal search box (left side) type "downloads" (without the " characters). Only Download Quota and  SMF Downloads Directory Lite (Downloads System) is presented.
Why is Downloads System itself not present? It also contains the word downloads.

3.) Do the same as in 2, now type "downloads system". In this case only Downloads system is present, but now Downloads Directory Lite is missing, in spite of the fact that this mod also contains "downloads system" in the title (between brackets).

I've had more of these kind of experiences, where titles contained search words, but were not displayed in the search result.
How come? I've never had this in vBulletin, what can be causing this?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Illori

i believe that arantor has many mods on the mod site that he has authored and i bet when you search for his name that is what comes up.

i believe that there may be some issues with the search function on the mod site. also the search function here on sm.org may be slightly different from what you get on your version due to sphinx being used for the search.

also since the mod is named download system... i dont think searching for "downloads" would return that unless downloads is in the description of the mod.

Black Tiger

Quotealso since the mod is named download system... i dont think searching for "downloads" would return that unless downloads is in the description of the mod.
Well... that is indeed correct, however it should had displayed downloads directory lite too. Now on a second attempt, it does... odd isn't it?

I agree that Arantor has many mods (somebody said 18) but if you do a search for "author" then only the author field should be searched and displayed, not other mods were his name might be mentioned somewhere in the describtion text, correct? ;)
Greetings, Black Tiger

Kindred

actually no...   because Arantor has indeed AUTHORED several dozen mods at the least.
A while back, he handed many of them over to other folks to continue development and support... but chances are, he's still listed as "the author" deep int he system

Also, do note, the customize sub site is not quite the same as SMF itself....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Black Tiger

Well then imho the search system is not doing nice searches. If somebody specific searches for the author field, it should only look at that author field.
I must say I like SMF but I liked the search system of vBulletin better and I fould it more user friendly (also closer to boards and topics, not way on top of the forum).

Thanks for explaining though.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: