News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

This forum's [nofollow] mod

Started by SDMiller, March 25, 2014, 11:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDMiller

Howdy,

I posted a link in a reply just now, and noticed it has a [nofollow] tag automatically appended to it.

I searched for 'nofollow' mods, and none are listed as being 2.0.7 compatible.

Mind if I ask which NoFollow mod this forum is using?

For that matter, is it posted anywhere what all the plug-ins are that this forum uses? It's basically a showcase of how a forum should/could operate.

Thanks.

Scott

LiroyvH

Mind if I ask which NoFollow mod this forum is using?

I think it's custom, but not 100% confident.

There is this mod available though:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2404

I know it states its only compatible up to RC5, but if I recall correctly you should actually be able to run it on 2.0.7.
Do *not* pin me down on that... Best to wait for an answer from someone with a better coding experience. :P

For that matter, is it posted anywhere what all the plug-ins are that this forum uses? It's basically a showcase of how a forum should/could operate.

Publicly; not that I am aware of. Nor will I create one and post it, heh.
Most of it is custom stuff... But there are of course the obvious modifications you can already see, primarily when asking for support/having received support.

We do our best to keep this forum as close to a default SMF installation as possible... We don't want to show a heavily modified board, we want to show it while it is being as close to what you will get when you download & install SMF. Not including some cosmetic changes. :)
And there's also the matter of security to us. A board that is running tons of custom code can potentially be more vulnerable than a default SMF install. Pretty much depends on who coded all the mods or when it was last updated/checked. We like to keep it clean. :)

So... How a forum should/could operate: you can witness on our site how a pretty close to default installation of SMF will behave and how very easy and very awesome the functionality we offer works. (DING! Yep, that was a sales pitch.)
But, "could" is an interesting thing to mention. You could modify your SMF forum in a way that it is nothing close to the default SMF... There are some (very busy) forums out there that have tons of modifications, including some you can't obtain here. You could also modify your SMF only for some minor mods that you really like, or perhaps only anti-spam measures. And you could keep your installation 100% default... It's what *you* want to do with SMF. If default is cool enough for you, keep it default. If you want more and more: install some mods. Shape it, bend it, destroy it (Scratch that!), tune it, make cosmetic changes... Until SMF became exactly what you wanted it to be for your own website/your use case.

That's the beauty of SMF really: you can make it and shape it in to what *YOU* want it to be and how you want it to operate. What is the best for you, rather than having us tell you what is best. (Other than using SMF itself, good practices and staying secure of course!! We have good advice. ;))
We love to see creativity: so who are we to show you what a forum *could* do on top of the great functions already in there by default?
Have a look in our showcase section to see multiple examples of what a forum can be, how it can behave, and what it *should* be in the eyes of the owner of that forum. Take inspiration from that.

Anyway; of course, due to the nature of this board (primarily: support) and our website, we had to make some slight alterations. But in essence it is good to hear from you that you don't appear to be noticing too many, to any, differences other than some subtle changes in behavior like the [nofollow], nor seem to be able to really guess what mods we're running; if any. :)

Guess that means we're doing our job pretty well!
Trust me when I say there's really only a handful of mods put to use here, primarily to support the support team and make the life of the team in general a bit easier for performing certain tasks to help people. Those modifications are not fit for all user cases anyway... And then we end up with the personal flavor stuff again. ;)

So really... You can see the basic functionality and power SMF has to offer right here on our boards. But if you want to see what it *could* do after installing mods of your choice: go check boards that run the mods you're interested in in the showcase, there you can see how it should operate in your opinion. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Kindred

that mod is indeed the same as we use here... or close enough to make no difference.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Just to clarify (speaking as someone who's seen both versions of the code), there are some differences between the public mod and the private one.

The private mod explicitly treats sm.org differently. Posts that can't contain links, or links that would be normally nofollowed are not treated specially in the private mod if the link is to any part of sm.org (including subdomains)

I know that the public mod does allow for some checking; it uses the base forum URL for this purpose. I can't remember if it only just won't nofollow links or whether it will permit links to the forum even in posts where it shouldn't, but in any case it will use the base forum URL, it won't accept links across the entire domain or subdomains, so if the forum is www.example.com, links to example.com will be treated as external)

SDMiller

Thanks to all for your replies... especially CoreISP who created quite an extensive reply. i know that took some time, so thanks!

:D

Advertisement: