News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can a MySQL upgrade effect a SMF forum ?

Started by Bluearrow, March 28, 2014, 06:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluearrow

My current mysql version is 5.0 but I need to upgrade it to 5.5 since current to upgrade WHM version it needs mysql above 5.0.  Is it fine to upgrade it or it can mess the forum I have in that vps ?

Roph

Wow, still on 5.0...

It should be ok. Grab a backup beforehand if you're worried. I've done in-place upgrades over the years from 5.0 to 5.5 with no issues. :)

Storman™

I run 5.5.36 with no issues.

Are you installing WHM then migrating your site to a VPS that runs on it ? If so, just bare in mind that MySQL is'nt the only application to think about. Also think what you are doing with the main operating system, php, and so forth as dependancies could have a baring on what versions you install.

Once WHM is installed have a play with EasyApache as thats a no-brainer in setting it all up  ;)

Bluearrow

It's a manage VPS I have had for more than 4 years. WHM is already there just can't update it without upgrading MySql. This vps has only this SMF forum and bunch of Wordpress blogs.

Storman™

Also, if WHM has not been updated for years then just make sure that any WP plugins are compatible with your new configuration. Some older legacy ones are not and you might need to look at alternatives.

Black Tiger

I don't know if you are running 1.x of SMF or if they are complatible with higher php versions.
But if you have Mysql 5.0 running and going to upgrade WHM, chances are that you are going to upgrade php too and that could give some problems.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Bluearrow

I'm running smf 2.x. Yesterday I got all sorted out. Fortunately everyone works fine! Thanks for helping guys. ))

Advertisement: