News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Newbie Forum setup question

Started by markt, March 29, 2014, 05:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markt

I set up a SMF forum a while ago, that's fine. Now I want to set up another forum on a totally unrelated topic, but in the same website. I cannot see how to do this, I can see plenty in the documentation about setting up child boards, but little I have found will guide me on a new forum. For instance do I simply download the install package again and upload to my site? Will that cause any problems with what is there already? A direction to a nice little post on this topic would be helpful. Sorry to of asked if this is already answered elsewhere.

Antechinus

Use your control panel file manager to create another folder. Call it whatever you like. Install to that folder.

Also best if you use a second database for the new forum. That's cleaner than trying to fit them both on the one database.

If you do need to use one database for both, use a custom table prefix on the second installation. If you don't know what that means, use a separate database. ;)

Mstcool

If you do install another forum in the same database, make a backup of the first forum first. ;)

How do I restore a database backup?
How do I backup my SMF forum?
How do I backup my database?
What is repair_settings.php?

markt

Brilliant, thanks for your help, it's all simple really!

Advertisement: