News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

MKPortal 1.1.2b / SMF 1.1.19 weird behavior

Started by gyrenejoe, April 01, 2014, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gyrenejoe

Hello all, I recently migrated & upgraded an install of MKPortal & SMF and we're experiencing a weird behavior when submitting replies to existing posts or posting new topics.

After submitting the new post/topic I get a lot of 404's on MKPortal elements, and looking at the error messages I can see that somewhere along the line the URL to the MKPortal Template items is getting screwed up, for example:

mysitename.com/smf/mkportal/templates/Forum/images/image.gif when the correct URL should be hxxp:mysitename.com/mkportal/templates/Forum/images/image.gif [nonactive]

- Elements inside of SMF itself all work properly, only MKPortal is screwed up.  Once users return to the main site MKPortal works correctly again.

Could anyone point out which .php or .ini file I should be looking into to find this re-direction?

Other than this everything works perfectly as before the move/upgrade. 

Thanks in advance.

margarett

Hi and welcome to SMF ;)

I don't even know MKPortal, but I assume something in the paths is wrong... Is the portal bridged to SMF in any way?
Did you change paths in this migration/upgrade operation? Maybe you need to fix some paths?

Anyway, since I see that mkportal.it is closed for a long tima, maybe you should consider other alternatives...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

gyrenejoe

Hi, thanks for your reply!

None of the paths have changed, and the Portal / Site work fine until a user submits a post, when an error is introduced by breaking the URLs of the links shown on the Portal - The Portal item links get broken by the addition of /smf to the path in front of /mkportal

Things get back to normal if the user follows any link in SMF and not the Portal.

I understand that MKPortal has been unsupported for a while, which is a shame as it is the most unobtrusive Portal I've found for SMF, plus this SMF/MKPortal install has been up for close to 10 years now and transferring all the MKPortal-specific items like Gallery content to another portal would be difficult if not impossible.

I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with MKPortal in this instance.

margarett

Quote from: gyrenejoe on April 01, 2014, 12:16:26 PM
...plus this SMF/MKPortal install has been up for close to 10 years now and transferring all the MKPortal-specific items like Gallery content to another portal would be difficult if not impossible.
Yeah, not easy for sure... :(

There are some more or less (in)active forums that seem to support MKPortal (just found 2 in a quick gogle search), maybe someone can assist you. But I have *no idea* what can that be... Maybe someone else steps in. Hopefully...

What exactly did you upgrade and migrate?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

gyrenejoe

I migrated the site from a old physical server to a VM running a newer server OS.

I also updated SMF from 1.1.4 (Old !) to 1.1.19

Everything survived the transfer, except this MKPortal oddness.  Somewhere a variable is adding "/smf" to post-forum posting URLs where none should be.

margarett

Well, I can only advise you to go through the code that generates the full path and try to check what is wrong. Eg:
mysitename.com/smf/mkportal/templates/Forum/images/image.gif
This isn't a hard-coded path... It should use a variable for the main part of the path, plus the "image.gif" at the end of it. You might try to follow this variable and check where it is being filled.
Not an easy work :(

I just can't understand how did it get messed up...

Advertisement: