Using font awesome

Started by thisisedy, April 03, 2014, 04:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisisedy

Hi ! I am trying to use font awesome [nofollow] with smf buttons . There is a tutorial about using it in smf main menu , but i'm trying to add FA to topic/post buttons .

I've used a 'workaround' solution , inserting the font tags via translate file :

$txt['new_topic'] = '<i class="fa fa-plus-circle"></i>  New Topic';
$txt['set_sticky'] = '<i class="fa fa-star"></i>  Set topic sticky';

It's getting parsed in forum view , but the page title when creating a topic will be <i class="fa fa-plus-circle"></i>  New Topic  ;D  . So , is there a solution to this ? Maybe editing some source file ? Using SMF 2.0.7  :P

margarett

You should edit the template files *and* add the necessary classes to CSS files.
(not that I'm any kind of theming expert, though...)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

thisisedy

Can you please specify the template file which handles those buttons ? Thanks  ;D

MessageIndex.template has :

// Create the button set...
$normal_buttons = array(
'new_topic' => array('test' => 'can_post_new', 'text' => 'new_topic', 'image' => 'new_topic.gif', 'lang' => true, 'url' => $scripturl . '?action=post;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0', 'active' => true),

No needs for css , just to add those <i> tags before the actual button text . http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/examples/ [nofollow]

Herman's Mixen

normal wise is that you insert the extra CSS file into your index.template.php and Customize your index.css file to meet the requirements of the font in example when you make changes to the body add something like this.... 

font-family: 'FontAwesome';

Also make sure that you uploaded the files you need to the right folders !!
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

margarett

You don't use "i" tags anymore, that's deprecated. You use CSS classes ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

thisisedy

Quote from: margarett on April 03, 2014, 11:39:28 AM
Quote from: Herman's Mixen on April 03, 2014, 10:22:36 AM

Yup , didn't read all the docs there . Apparently i can use pseudo classes :before or :after to add the icon altering just the css file ;D

Thanks for the help  ;)

RubberDucky

Quote from: thisisedy on April 03, 2014, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: margarett on April 03, 2014, 11:39:28 AM
Quote from: Herman's Mixen on April 03, 2014, 10:22:36 AM

Yup , didn't read all the docs there . Apparently i can use pseudo classes :before or :after to add the icon altering just the css file ;D

Thanks for the help  ;)

I am just beginning to learn html/css and this :before and :after has confused me ever since I started learning CSS. I can understand basic CSS like modifying text and floating things right or left, but where can I read about :before and :after to get a better grasp of this?
My gaming forum: http://gamingforums.hostei.com. Please visit my gaming forum.
I want to become a bigforum when I grow up.

AllanD

Quote from: RubberDucky on April 10, 2014, 02:47:22 AM
I am just beginning to learn html/css and this :before and :after has confused me ever since I started learning CSS. I can understand basic CSS like modifying text and floating things right or left, but where can I read about :before and :after to get a better grasp of this?

I was looking at it myself, and found this site the helped explain it a lot.  http://krasimirtsonev.com/blog/article/CSS-before-and-after-pseudo-elements-in-practice
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Advertisement: