Changing the url on which SMF is hosted

Started by kushalk, April 04, 2014, 10:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kushalk

Hi ,
I had initially hosted my SMF forum on a particular url, say http://www.abc.com  . But later I wanted to change that and host it on another forum , hxxp:www.xyz.com [nonactive] .  For this what I have done is that I simply redirected my hxxp:www.xyz.com [nonactive] url to the same directory on which my forum was initially hosted, so that I dont need to change anything in the installation.  So, now both hxxp:www.xyz.com [nonactive] and hxxp:www.abc.com [nonactive] point to the same server, same folder.  When I go to hxxp:www.xyz.com [nonactive] ( newer url ), it shows me the correct site with the forum, but when I click on any link in the forum, it changes the base url on top to hxxp:www.abc.com [nonactive]. How can I change the base url , so that the site completely moves to the new url. I want to avoid reinstalling the forum. Please help.

Thanks for your time.

margarett

You can't access the forum with different URLs (things get messed inside :P ). Your best bet is
* Choose the domain you wish to keep "primary".
* Upload and run repair_settings USING THAT DOMAIN. What is repair_settings.php?
* Point the "secondary" domain to another folder in your server. In that folder use a .htaccess to unconditionally forward visitors to the new domain.
So your "secondary" domain will be slowly forgotten
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: