Moved avatars - can't access

Started by Alec Durbervilles, April 04, 2014, 09:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Durbervilles

I followed suggestion number 1 in Twenty-four things you can do to make SMF go faster and the avatars moved easily enough - I can even click them and open them from my control panel file manager - but on my site, none of the avatars are showing up. Not only that but when I try to upload a new avatar it fails to take it.

At first I thought it might be a permission problem. I saw that I needed to make sure the new avs directory had the same permissions as the attachments directory, and they do. Any suggestions? I'm quite the noob when it comes to this side of website administration.

Alec Durbervilles

OK, I've figured out my avatar problem. I have to sheepishly admit that I wasn't careful enough with the location of the new avatars in my avatar settings, the the software was trying to look in a place that didn't have any images.

But since we're talking about avatars, maybe someone knows how to solve this longer running problem I have. My site has stories submitted by members and to make it easier to find stuff, I've written an authors index. It's really just a comment that has all the authors' avatars linked to their profiles and their names, linked to each author's page of stories (each one of which is also just a comment with a list of that author's stories with links to them).

Anyway, whenever an author changes his avatar, it breaks the link and I have to reset it manually. Is there a way to link to someone's avatar in a comment such that if he changes his avatar in his profile, it also changes it in the comment?

margarett

In-post, no...
What you did was to create a post, with IMG tags to avatars and a link to such topics, right?
This could be done, but it would have to be coded, thus running "behind". so it can't directly be done inside the post, no...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alec Durbervilles

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I've suspected that it wasn't possible because I've searched all over for a solution and no one seems to have one. I've been hoping someone would write a mod that makes it possible but I suppose it's not a big enough problem for most people. And dang it, coding stuff like that is way beyond my level of technical expertise.   :-\

margarett

So please open a topic in Mod Requests ;)

I considered trying something for you but I honestly see no proper way to automate the thing...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Ummmm.., why not use one of the "staff page" mods?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: