SMF not installed correctly

Started by Nate95, April 04, 2014, 10:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate95

If you read my previous thread, I managed to fix my previous issue, thanks to all who responded. I have (somewhat) successfully installed SMF onto my website. I ran the installer, went through all the steps, and got to the end where it says to see my forum but everytime I go to the forum's URL I see this:

Yes, I have clicked on the link at the top many times and have even tried a fresh install but yielded the same result.

LiroyvH

It almost looks like your theme images are missing, is there a images folder in the Themes/default directory?
Are the paths set correctly? (repair_settings.php?)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Nate95

Quote from: CoreISP on April 04, 2014, 10:32:52 PM
It almost looks like your theme images are missing, is there a images folder in the Themes/default directory?
Are the paths set correctly? (repair_settings.php?)

there is an images folder in the Themes/default directory. I forgot to add that I tried using repair_settings.php previously but kept getting the error at the bottom "Settings.php cannot be written to by your webserver. Please modify the permissions on this file to allow write access." even though I set CHMOD to 777 on both the settings.php and the repair_settings.php files.

Kindred

how did you set chmod 777?   I'll bet you a dollar that it said that it changed chmod, but actually ignored the command
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nate95

Quote from: Kindred on April 05, 2014, 12:23:25 AM
how did you set chmod 777?   I'll bet you a dollar that it said that it changed chmod, but actually ignored the command

ftp

Kindred

I'll bet you a dollar that it said that it changed chmod, but actually ignored the command
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nate95

Quote from: Kindred on April 05, 2014, 12:13:23 PM
I'll bet you a dollar that it said that it changed chmod, but actually ignored the command

How would you suggest changing the chmod so that it actually executes the command?  :-\

Kindred

talk to your host about file ownership (chown)
Слaва
Украинi

Nate95

After some fiddling around I got it to install correctly! Thanks to everyone for their swift responses! I have one last question, however. For some reason I cannot delete/rename/move the install.php. Even trying to change the file permissions gives an error. Any ideas? I've searched the forum for similar issues but didn't find anyone else that had the same problem.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Nate95

I asked my host about file permissions, and they helped me realize that silly me did not use the master FTP account for the last issue, which by doing that was resolved. If anyone is interested it was a 550 error. I dont know if the server is windows or linux, but i can tell you its provided by hostway

LiroyvH

Quote from: Nate95 on April 10, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
I asked my host about file permissions, and they helped me realize that silly me did not use the master FTP account for the last issue, which by doing that was resolved. If anyone is interested it was a 550 error. I dont know if the server is windows or linux, but i can tell you its provided by hostway

550 is indeed a permission related error.

Oh my, hostway... I hope not any of their EU branches. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: