Other thread marking type on boardindex

Started by Black Tiger, April 07, 2014, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

This is one of the only things really disturbing me in SMF and SMF is also the only forum software doing it this way.

This is the problem:
Suppose you have 10 new threads in a forum. You see the on.png on the main board index.
So you visit that forum and have a look at one of the new threads, so far so good, 9 new unread threads left.

But if you go back to the main forum index now for whatever reason (you click wrong, you had to do something else and close the browser and revisit later etc.) or your have a look at your pm because you get a new pm popup, the off.png will be displayed for that forum, in spite of the fact that there are still 9 new unread threads in there.
But on the forum index, you can't see that anymore because the new thread light is out (off.png).

On all other forum software out there, including widely used phpBB and vBulletin, this will not happen. It will only turn to off.png (or off.gif or whatever they use), in one of 3 situations:
1.) all posts are indeed read in the forum.
2.) If a certain (cookie or database ) timeout for unread threads is passed.
3.) If the user clicks the mark (all forums or this forum) read button.

I know in vbulletin it is configured by a choice the admin can make in the configuration panel. There are 3 options called Thread/Forum Read Marking Type:
Inactivity/Cookie Based
Database (no automatic forum marking)
Database (automatic forum marking) which was working the best.

Next to that there is a Database Read Marking Limit, in which you can set the amount of days after which forums will be set to read for a user in anycase, no matter if he did or did not read it.

I'm looking for a mod or somebody who can make a mod, that keeps the light ON until all threads in that forum are indeed read or marked read by the user. If possible it would be nice to also have a configurable timeout configuration like vB has, but that's not a must.

Is there anybody who can make such thing for 2.0.6?
Greetings, Black Tiger

maximus23

Pas de support par PM ou Courrier...Veuillez utiliser le forum pour vous avoir une réponse rapide à votre demande d'aide. Merci.
Amitiés et à Bientôt...
No support by PM or Mail...You will get better and faster responses in the support forums. Thank you.
Have a nice day...

Black Tiger

Thank you, but I'm not into coding and I can only speak a little French but can't write it anymore.
When looking into the code, it might do something like I ask, but I don't know exactly what it does and can't understand if it also automatically sets the off.gif in the Board index if all posts are read.

If somebody else, maybe Margarett could confirm this is what I'm looking for, than I would gladly implement it. But since my lack of French knowledge, I don't understand if I have to do something in the other link mentioned there and if I need any of the attached messageindex.php files.

However it seems very much something I'm looking for, thank you for pointing it out!
Greetings, Black Tiger

Black Tiger

@Margarett: In the mod section Maximus pointed me to this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=508952.msg3616713#msg3616713

It might do what I want, I just don't understand French. So maybe that can be of help somehow. Or maybe you can confirm in my mod request if that is what I need?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: