Slight problem with weird 403 error while editing profile information

Started by BiGBLiZZ, April 09, 2014, 05:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGBLiZZ

Before I go on, I have tried the suggestions found here and here and even here

Now, with that out of the way, here is my situation:

When I (as admin) go to change my profile using... Profile>Forum Profile Information  {make change to signature, etc} and then click "change profile" button I get the fabulous 403 page.

As an added bonus, everything else I can do... (Account related settings - everything works and I can save changes), I can alter OTHER members profiles no problem.  My other Admin though, can edit his profile just fine, Yet cannot edit mine (also results in 403 but again, ONLY when under Forum Profile Information.

I did notice this though: When I go to my FPI section the URL shows:
http://mysite.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2;sa=forumProfile

and when I click "Change Profile" it reads:
http://mysite.com/forum/index.php?action=profile2

When I am making changes to anyone else's profile, the URL stays the same.

I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

edit:
Sorry... running 1.1.19 with a few mods. Nothing really new (mods, etc) in a year or so, this just started happening in the last month.  I did change hosts, however, it was working prior and they only have updated cPanel since I started with them. No other changes have been made.
Think you are clever?
Prove It!

kat

Changing hosts could be the clue.

Ask them to disable mod_security (It's crap) and get them to ensure that you have full CHOWN ownership of the files on your site.

BiGBLiZZ

Thanks for the reply. modsecurity is disabled on the server. I have full ownership of all files as well.  Everything was working fine until about 4 days ago. No notable changes have been made by myself or them.  It "just stopped working" as it were.

I've been online for over a decade, and with SMF for nearly 7 years. I have been through my share of issues and problems and fixes. However this one is just... weird. OUt of the blue and only on select profiles?  I just can't wrap my head around it.
Think you are clever?
Prove It!

Herman's Mixen

Try to repair some settings with repair_settings.php?

Or did you install any mods lately which are profile related ?!
Or maybe a file got corrupted ?!
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

kat

Just thinking out-loud, here...

If your co-admin's not getting the same problem, could something in your browser (Cookie? Cache?) be the problem?

Can you try a different browser, just to rule that out?

internationalflyerz

Did anyone figure out a cure for this? I have exactly the same problem, also can't update my profile I get the same error....

kat

Well, BiGBLiZZ hasn't come back. So, we can only assume he got it sorted and couldn't be arsed to let us know.

Did YOUR host change anything?

internationalflyerz

Spoke to my host and told them to white list all rules in mod_security. Problem sorted.

kat

I wish they'd stop using that crap... Ta, for letting us know, IF. :)

Advertisement: