smcfunc[db_quote] for inserts?

Started by Tekkla, April 09, 2014, 04:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekkla

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Tekkla

Returns NULL to me. Should db_insert return the full sql string is uses for insert? 

Herman's Mixen

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

emanuele

Use db_quote is discouraged (unless you have a good reason to, and even then it may be worth redo the code to use a plain db_query).
db_insert is completely different and if you want t support the different dbms SMF supports (MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite) it is the one to use.
I'm not sure why you want to have the string (since db_insert takes care of everything (really) just passing a couple of arrays), so... I can't give you a meaningful answer, sorry. ;)

Herman the db functions are better documented at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/$smcFunc

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Tekkla

Thanks for your patience, but I did not ask about what's good or bad or where I can find a list of db functions. I asked how to get the sql string created by db_insert (without grabbing it manually from the place it is created)? I guess, there is no "Does not execute the query, Formats as if it where going to be and returns the string.". Correct?

margarett

Well, at the end of the day, for MySQL, the "final" insert is really in Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php

// Do the insert.
$smcFunc['db_query']('', '
' . $queryTitle . ' INTO ' . $table . '(`' . implode('`, `', $indexed_columns) . '`)
VALUES
' . implode(',
', $insertRows),
array(
'security_override' => true,
'db_error_skip' => $table === $db_prefix . 'log_errors',
),
$connection
);

You can't get a complete string, but you can edit that funcion and maybe build a string with the passed variables...

Or, if you add $db_show_debug=true; in Settings.php it shows you the query (not so sure for an insert, since the page has to reload...)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Tekkla

Yeah. Found this too. Did some search for a maybe not documented function before, but without success. Now I know that I have to do it manually. Thank you. :)

emanuele

I know what you asked and what you didn't, and I know what I wanted to answer. ;)

A query is a query, and if you know how to use db_quote, you already know how to use it for whatever you want. If you don't (in my book) it may mean you don't know very well db_quote and so it is potentially dangerous to explain you how to SQLinject your own site. (Even SMF has a bug of that level for bad usage of db_quote (or lack of usage, I don't remember the details) and addslashes, so it's not that I'm considering you a noob, it's that it can be very tricky. ;))

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Tekkla

Can you show me how to use db_qoute on db_insert WITHOUT altering the code of SMF, please?

margarett

You can use db_quote with a regular, complete instruction with INSERTO INTO or whatever. The only problem is that you might loose cross-database compatibility because you'll use probably MySQL syntax. But you can perfectly use INSERT INTO instead of the regular SELECT.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: