News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

how to block spam advertising kitchens

Started by GFP, April 10, 2014, 01:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GFP

In a forum that I frequent there is frequent spam from people advertising kitchens e.g.

hxxp:community.slickedit.com/index....html#msg41998 [nonactive]

<quote>
Cheap Kitchen Units Sale. Thirty Ex Display Kitchens To Clear. www<dot>exdisplaykitchens1<dot>co<dot>uk £ 595 Each with appliances. </>

They spam other forums too. Does anyone have an idea of how to get this stopped?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GFP

I think the spam is being generated by real people, not robots.

The company that is running the forum doesn't want to spend much time blocking spam.  I'm thinking of suggesting to them to appoint some trusted users as moderators.

Is it possible to configure smf to require moderation of a post that has certain keywords in it or to require moderation of posts that have web links in them until the user is recognized as genuine?

Storman™

I was going to suggest to see if there's any common range within the IP addresses used to post. If there is then block that range in .htaccess

However that would  be difficult though if you are (just) a member with forum owners that aren't that bothered.

QuoteI'm thinking of suggesting to them to appoint some trusted users as moderators.

Might be the best way to go  ;)

Kindred

I think you are wrong about people versus bots...   And did you even read the link that I posted?  I implemented three things from that page... Questions ( feature), bad behavior +httpBL,  and stop spammer.

Those three mods have had my forums clear or spam for close to two years now, with almost no time spent on dealing with any of it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Lexi P

GFP

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2014, 10:47:57 AM
I think you are wrong about people versus bots...   And did you even read the link that I posted?  I implemented three things from that page... Questions ( feature), bad behavior +httpBL,  and stop spammer.

Those three mods have had my forums clear or spam for close to two years now, with almost no time spent on dealing with any of it.

Yes I did read the link you posted thanks but I'm not actually running the website so I can't try anything.  I just wanted to be able to suggest something to the people who are running it.

Why do you think it's bots not people?  They seem to break the captcha very easily.  Anyway, I read this.
hxxp:www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/why-cant-admin-stop-this-kitchen-spam.298249/#post-2278013 [nonactive]

kat

Might be phun to use the word censor, to change the word "kitchen" into something incredibly silly.

Or rude. ;)

margarett

They usually don't use kitchen directly. Or with spaces, or l33t or whatever. It's all about preventing them to enter the forum, methinks.

QuoteThey seem to break the captcha very easily.
Captcha is more annoying for real users than for bots.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Oh, for sure. I was just thinking about having some phun, at their expense. ;)

"k i t c h e n" can be censored, too... :)

Advertisement: