News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

table tags don't work in signature in my forum

Started by brynn, April 13, 2014, 09:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I have Table Plus BBCode mod installed on my SMF w/Tiny Portal (all current).  I just was having some trouble with it, and wanted to look up support, but the mod's topic is locked, and it's no longer found on the Mod site.  I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it seems to be just gone!?

I have a pretty simple question to ask, but not sure where to ask.  Can someone tell me where to get support?  I did look at the SMFSimple.com website (which made the mod) but I couldn't find it there either (although I didn't exactly peruse the site, and not allowed to search without registering).

In case someone here can answer (and since it's fairly simple) I'll ask here.  I can't seem to make it work in Signatures.  I did search the locked topic using "signature", but no results.  Should I be able to use it in a Signature?

I've heard there's a major SMF upgrade coming soon.  And not only did I not find this mod at the Mod site, there are no mods for making tables, and I do remember seeing a few (2 or 3) maybe a year ago or less.  So I might guess that there will be no need for table mods, after the upgrade.  Could it be this troubled message editor has finally been overhauled?  (Glory Be! if so   :D  ) 

Thanks for any comments or suggestions   :)

Edit
After starting this topic, I've realized that the problem may not be with this mod.  So I've modified the title.

I've tried using just plain table tags in my signature.  In my forum, it doesn't work.  However, in a temporary signature I just made here, it does seem to work.

Can you all suggest what the problem might be, or where I should start looking or troubleshooting?

Thanks   :)

PS -- this is SMF 2.06 with Tiny Portal 1.107.  Not sure what other info you might need.  But I'll go right now and try to test in my test forum  :)

Kindred

Well, since none of us use the mod, you will really have to ask on the smf simple site, if they are the ones who made it..

As for troubled message editor, I don't know what you mean, but there has always been bbc table tags.... And nothing new has been done with them in the new version.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brynn

Well, maybe some other reason it's disappeared.  I just thought you all might know.

Yes, I know the tags are available without a mod.  But the mod adds convenient buttons.

I suppose I could try typing in the code, hoping that will avoid using the mod.  But I'll have to do it tomorrow.

The message editor does work, for the most part, as long as you don't use Toggle View button.  Once you click that, things start going haywire.  For example, a nested, number list:

a
b
c
a
b
c

You can only do that by editing the code.  You can edit the code and save the 1st time, and all is well.  But if you have to go back in and edit, and then save, the numbers change to bullets.  And there is some weird behavior with font face/size, when using Toggle View too.  Also some line spacing issues.  Same thing -- 1st save is fine, subsequent edit and saves, not so much.  I've discussed that in another topic a long time ago.  So that's not the issue here.....  Well, it's part of the issue, maybe, in case I might want to try editing the code view to make the table work.  But I've learned my lesson.  I won't even try it.  Too bad it won't be fixed in this upgrade.  That other older topic said it was expected....I seem to recall 2.1, but not sure, don't remember for sure.

Anyway, maybe someone else who knows the mod will reply here later.  And meanwhile tomorrow I'll try typing in the code.  And last resort, I'll register over there and ask them about it.

Thanks Kindred  ;D

Kindred

well, yes...   it is not intended for you to toggle between manual and wysiwyg....

however, yes, the wysiwyg has been switched in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brynn

Quotewell, yes...   it is not intended for you to toggle between manual and wysiwyg....
That's kind of my point.  If it's not meant to be used, why is it there?  If a button exists, you must expect that people will try to use it.

But anyway, I tried using plain old table tags

[table][tr][td]content in 1 cell[/td][td]content in 2nd cell[/td][/tr][/table]

in my signature (on my forum, not here)(although maybe trying here would serve diagnostically?).  But when I save the profile, the table code doesn't "take".  The profile doesn't change.

brynn

Well, it's hard to say for sure, but it does look like table tags work in a temporary signature I just made here.

Since I've unsuccessfully tried to use plain old table tags in signature in my forum, the focus of the problem no longer seems to be the mod.  Therefore, I'm changing my topic title, to more accurately reflect the problem.

Thanks for any insight   :)

brynn

Thought I'd try to put a table in a signature in my test forum.  It won't take any signature at all!

Checked admin panel > features and options > signature.  Signatures are allowed, and apparently configured properly, and table tags are checked off in the bbc section.

Still investigating.  Comments welcome  :)

Kindred

so....   since it works here ad not on your site, it would indeed appear to be a mod related problem -- in which case, the question properly belongs in the support topic for that mod. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

have you disabled the table tags for posts? if so that apparently is the main "switch" if those are disabled they can not be used in sigs.

brynn

Illori, no, I have checked on the BBC settings and all the table tags are allowed.  I've tested in a message, and it works just fine.  But for some reason, not in a signature.

Kindred, I don't understand how you can say it could be related to the mod, if I typed in plain old table tags, and never clicked the buttons that the mod provides.  Does the mod somehow override, and not allow typed-in tags?  Or something like that?  Could you explain why you still think it could be related to that mod?  (I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I just want to understand   :) )

Or I wonder if it might have something to do with other mods.  Because my forum message editor looks and works differently from this one (including the editor in the Signature part of the profile settings).  For example, if I highlight a word in my forum, and click the Bold button, the word becomes bold, right there in the editor.  If I highlight a word and click the bold button here, it adds bold tags around the word (and the word only actually becomes bold when the message is posted).  I'm not sure which mod I have that makes it like that, but maybe that's the reason tables in sigs work in this forum (and not mine)?  (My forum was sort of born that way.  It's the first time I've been a forum admin, and someone else installed it for me, originally.  I just can't remember which mods he installed originally, and by now, I've installed so many more!)

If another mod could be involved, can anyone tell by my description, which one it might be?  Maybe it's even Tiny Portal?

Steve

Quote from: brynn on April 18, 2014, 01:32:13 AMOr I wonder if it might have something to do with other mods.  Because my forum message editor looks and works differently from this one (including the editor in the Signature part of the profile settings).  For example, if I highlight a word in my forum, and click the Bold button, the word becomes bold, right there in the editor.  If I highlight a word and click the bold button here, it adds bold tags around the word (and the word only actually becomes bold when the message is posted).  I'm not sure which mod I have that makes it like that, but maybe that's the reason tables in sigs work in this forum (and not mine)?  (My forum was sort of born that way.  It's the first time I've been a forum admin, and someone else installed it for me, originally.  I just can't remember which mods he installed originally, and by now, I've installed so many more!)

Isn't that just the WYSIWYG editor?

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look & Layout -> Last checkbox that says 'Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.'
DO NOT pm me for support!

brynn

Quote from: Nuttysman on April 18, 2014, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: brynn on April 18, 2014, 01:32:13 AMOr I wonder if it might have something to do with other mods.  Because my forum message editor looks and works differently from this one (including the editor in the Signature part of the profile settings).  For example, if I highlight a word in my forum, and click the Bold button, the word becomes bold, right there in the editor.  If I highlight a word and click the bold button here, it adds bold tags around the word (and the word only actually becomes bold when the message is posted).  I'm not sure which mod I have that makes it like that, but maybe that's the reason tables in sigs work in this forum (and not mine)?  (My forum was sort of born that way.  It's the first time I've been a forum admin, and someone else installed it for me, originally.  I just can't remember which mods he installed originally, and by now, I've installed so many more!)

Isn't that just the WYSIWYG editor?

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look & Layout -> Last checkbox that says 'Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.'

Oh hey, look at that!  You're right.  Yeah, I would have called this one wysiwyg as well.  I still have a lot to learn.  Thanks  :)

brynn

Ah-HA!!

That table mod works perfectly in my forum, if I switch out of that wysiwyg mode!

Now I'm going to switch into that wysiwyg mode for this forum, and see if table tags still work or not.  brb

Edit
Hhmmm, no, it seems they work in this forum, no matter which way I have the editor set up.

Well, on Kindred's advice, I'll go and try to get help in the forum of the people who made that mod.  But I still would like to understand how he came to that conclusion.

Thanks again for everyone's help!  I'll post again when I have some sort of conclusion, for better or worse  :)

(meanwhile, I'll delete the test sig  :laugh: )

brynn

But, what if I just temporarily uninstall that mod, and then try the test again?  ........

Ok, even with that mod uninstalled, in wysiwyg mode, in my forum, I can't put a table in a signature.

Do I still need to go to the forum of the mod creator?

Is there an easy way to list all my mods for you?  It seems to me it must be some mod that I use, that this forum doesn't use.  Unless you still think I need to go elsewhere for support?

Kindred

My assumption came from  an understanding that any mod which affects on piece of code, could have in intended consequences on a function that uses that code...

However,  to list your mods, take a look I'm the package manager...   That will list all installed mods.
Слaва
Украинi

brynn

Yes, I know they are listed there.  I was asking if there is some way to automatically copy the whole list, rather than type it all out.  (For example the Firefox support forum can automatically list all your plugins for you.  I wasn't sure if you had something like that here.)  But I can't find anything in the package manager that will copy them all, unless I've just overlooked it.  Here they come:

6 Custom buttons / tabs with Sub Menus (4)  v 0.5
Bad Behavior mod  v 1.5.17
Country Flags  v 2.1
Global Headers Footers  v 2.0.1
Sisyphus  v 1.0
Remove images from quotes  v 1.6
PM Quote  v 1.0
Additional Profile Permissions  v 1.0.0
Signature Area BBCode Buttons  v 2.0.3
Email Template Editor  v 1.0
PM Attachments  v 1.6
Set order for sticky topics  v 0.5
Reason For Editing Mod  v 2.3.2
Drafts  v 1.1.5
Alt Characters  v 1.7
Vimeo_bbc_code_Mod  v 1.0
Wikipedia BBC  v 1.0.1
OS & Browser Detection  v 1.5
FancyPosts  v 0.4.1
SMFPacks Shoutbox  v 1.0.4
Align text with Smiley v 1.3
Location on memberlist SMF2 v 1.5
Started By Column  v 1.42
Switch Permissions  v 1.0
New Topic in Seperate Color  v 1.3
Separate the sticky topics  v 1.0.0
Users Online Today  v 2.0.3
SMF Articles  v 2.5.1
TinyPortal  v 1.107
Forum Firewall  v 1.1.6
Stop Spammer  v 2.3.9
Permission for Website Url Of Users  v 1.4
Enhanced Dropdown  v 1.2
open mod reports  v 1.0
More Spiders  v 1.2
Extended Help  v 1.0
Integration Hooks Report  v 1.5.2
DevCenter  v 0.3
Sorted Package Manager Listing  v 1.0.2
SimpleColorizer  v 1.1
No Temp Directory Removal  v 1.1.8

Ok, there they are.  Possibly I might have typed a version number wrong, but I copied each mod name as it's shown in pkg mgr.

Thanks again   :)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

brynn

Well, fortunately, I ended up not using Fancy Posts anyway.  So no problem uninstalling permanently.

Unfortunately that did not fix the problem.

You know, I just realized it's not just that tables mod that doesn't work.  I can't even add plain text to my signature!  It's really acting like it does when something's wrong with the BBCode.  I have half a mind to click that Toggle View button, and try to straighten it out.  Do you think I should try that?  Might be easier than messing around uninstallilng and reinstalling mods...assuming it solves the problem.

Or maybe I could switch out of wysiwyg mode to edit the signature, then switch it back.  Which do you think would be best?

Steve

Wow ... it doesn't work on my board either. I never use the wysiwyg editor so lord only knows how long ago that started.

I also notice that here, the signature editor does NOT become a wysiwyg editor when that editor is selected by default which would explain why the table would work here but not at brynn's site.

Maybe the 'Signature Area BBCode Buttons' mod is causing it? I have that mod installed as well.

Just did a test on my test board and that would be the problem. As soon as that mod is installed, the signature area won't retain anything if the wysiwyg editor is on by default.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

thanks Nuttysman...      That was my first thought, but I also thought that was the first thing that brynn tried disabling...      :)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: