News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Opinions on way to implement recent minimum post count

Started by joeyjojoshabadoo, April 14, 2014, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyjojoshabadoo

Hi guys,

opinions sought on something I'm trying to achieve. On 2.07

Due to the nature of our forum, we need people to be reminded of recent post counts in order to keep them contributing. We have contributing members who have more access to stuff once they post 10 posts or more, but the problem is many go inactive after reaching ten and don't contribute anymore, simply using others for their research on time sensitive data every week.

So essentially what i need is for them
a) to be reminded of their post count in the last 2 weeks or whatever, to say 'either post something useful, or you're out soon'
and
b) for admin to be able to see who hasn't posted in a set period and send a warning to.

Any ideas how I could achieve that? Had a look through a few mods but maybe i'm not searching right.

Many thanks!

Storman™

Not sure that's the way to go, the nature of forums means that you'll have people who post a lot and those that never post, it's just how they are.

Almost forcing members to post something just for the sake of it would lead to poor quality content over time. Plus it would probably alienate quite a few members along the way.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I belong to quite a few forums, some I post on, and on others I'm quite happy sitting on the fence and reading whats happening without getting involved.

Can only suggest that you do a monthly newsletter with some sort of promotion (or whatever) which might entice people back to the forum and get posting.

;)

margarett

^^ this :)

Anyway, if you want to do it, there is a mod in the final approval stage that might work for you. Please wait a "little" bit ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

joeyjojoshabadoo

hi Storman, Margarett,

thanks for the replies.

STorman, i totally get what youre saying but the nature of the forum means that people can genuinely profit from the work of others, and so we try to encourage contribution in order to access the contribution of others.  It's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

All that said, we do open everything up on a Friday afternoon to even non members, and in time for the info to still be some use to non members too. We're pretty cool like that.

margarett, I'm intrigued! Any more hints on how long?   :D

margarett

Quote from: joeyjojoshabadoo on April 14, 2014, 01:53:30 PM
margarett, I'm intrigued! Any more hints on how long?   :D
Nop, sorry :) It's the nature of the approval process, it's man/woman-made so it takes some time. It shouldn't be too long, is all I can say...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

joeyjojoshabadoo

hey Margarett, no worries thanks  :laugh:

How about this...

is it estimated to be roughly
a) 1wk to 1 month
b)1 month to 3 months
c)3 months to 6 months

margarett

joeyjojoshabadoo

great thanks Margarett. Where's the best place to keep an eye out for it?

margarett

margarett

Advertisement: