Host problem interfering with upgrade....

Started by jestbiteme, October 05, 2005, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jestbiteme

I wonder if someone can help me...
In attempting to upgrade to the latest SMF build, I encountered the following error:
Safari can't open the page "http://www.tvnewstalk.net/forum2/upgrade.php?step=1 [nofollow]". The error was: "lost network connection" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1005).

As somewhat of a novice, I'm not sure what this error refers to and what steps I need to go through to correct it. In the mean time, I have a half-upgraded forum that's spewing scary errors all over the place. What do I need to do (or tell my host to do) to get this timeout to stop so that I can finish the upgrade?

www.tvnewstalk.net/forum2

Elmacik

Home of Elmacik

jestbiteme

The forum loads fine, bunt when replying or deleting topics, you get random database errors, with 'It appears that you may need a forum upgrade. Some files are SMF 1.0.5, some are SMF 1.1 RC 1"

Try running the upgrade utility-- www.tvnewstalk.net/forum2/upgrade.php [nofollow] -- and see what occurs. This is the error that's preventing me from finishing up the install. Also affects the search and spell check features in the forum itself.

Elmacik

seems slow but no errors... maybe you can ask your host to run the file locally :)
or maybe you can run the file when the server isnt used much
Home of Elmacik

jestbiteme

Thanks for the hints. I was up all night last night waiting for a time when the server would be fast enough the get the intall completed, but no luck. Sadly, it's a shared server, and it seems it's pretty busy 24-7. Sigh.

Oldiesmann

I keep getting "The document contains no data" (using Firefox) when I try to load the file, meaning it's timing out before it's getting loaded. It might be time to switch to a better host if your service there doesn't improve...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Elmacik

Oldiesmann,

I am using firefox too, but i can reach his upgrade.php file, everytime i load it, it processes the upgrade.
and i always see the "Not finished to not to load your server much, nothing is wrong, just click the continue button"

i click continue, it goes on upgrading files. but while upgrading some tables, it stops responding.
I think thats completely because of the server.. (connection speed or resources usage percentage..)
Home of Elmacik

jestbiteme

Hehe. Thanks, guys. I have 2 tickets in with the host, and so far, despite the detailed info I've given them, all they have done was point out that I typed the link to the upgrade.php in wrong.

Uh, OK. Sorry about that. But that's obviously not the problem. Sigh!

TwinsX2Dad

Quote from: Oldiesmann on October 06, 2005, 12:00:16 AM
I keep getting "The document contains no data" (using Firefox)It might be time to switch to a better host if your service there doesn't improve...

It is shared hosting - shared hosting is not normally designed, nor provisioned, to accomodate the load placed on it by a script of this sort. I tell my customers that our shared accounts, while they will run most scripts of this type, there may be outages, slowdowns, disconnections and other headaches that we simply will have no answer for other than to have them upgrade to a better type of service.

Shared service = Toyota Corolla
php board = ChrisCraft on trailer

While that poor Toyota may get that boat & trailer moving, don't expect it to do so reliably, nor safely.

Oldiesmann

It was just a suggestion. Some shared hosts are better than others.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: