News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Creating a test forum for my current install?

Started by shazoo!, April 15, 2014, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shazoo!

I am trying to create a new test forum for my site.

I had one, but am trying to rebuild it because I couldn't get it to load any threads.

I have already backed up and restored my database to the test database, for the actual smf files, can I just zip up my current forum folders and extract them and use  repair_settings.php to correct the URL information?

I'm doing this because I need to manually uninstall a mod, and I want to do a dry run before I go live

kat

This is very likely not the way that others do it. ;)

But, what I did, was keep the test forum well away from my live one, to prevent any path problems. I created a totally different site. It's on the same server, but on a totally different domain and everything.

That way, I can totally bork everything, without it affecting my live site, at all.

I didn't even copy the database, from my live site. I started with a totally clean install.

Might it be better to do it, that way?

Sir Osis of Liver

I usually copy the forum files to a new subdirectory, with a new database, and import a dump from the live db.  Different paths, different db creds, so there isn't any conflict with the live forum.

But you can screw up pretty much anything if you're sufficiently determined, and I've seen it done using this method.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: