News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Started by marjorie, April 16, 2014, 12:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marjorie

A bit of  crazy one but... I've set up a forum in a subdomain (forum.xxxx.co.uk) and getting a situation where some users - including me occasionally! - get an Access denied messgage. Its so hard to fathom

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
-------------
I'm wondering of its anything to do with the current theme directory /home/linweb29/a/xxxxx.co.uk/user/htdocs/forum/Themes/default appearing as a full rather than relative path?

Comments?

LiroyvH

That's either:
1.) A chmod problem
2.) A problem with rules in your .htaccess
3.) A ownership problem (eg: files or folder(s) not "chown"ed properly. Note: that can also be a, or multiple, parent directories)
4.) Mod security triggers

The full path should not be a issue.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

JustOneOldMan

Probably one of the things CoreISP mentioned, but just another thought.

Are your users adding a "www." in front of the address?  If you're not configured for it, that can also cause issues...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing...

marjorie

I defined the subdomain a couple of days ago, tested it on my lappy with three browsers and it was fine.

Gave it to the world to have a look at and some reported problems, not all.

I tried connecting this morning from lappy 2 and three bowsers failed to connect. Then later only two browsers worked, not Chrome. I had a chat with the webhost (FastHosts, as you asked) who said it was obviously a software problem and my version of Chrome 'didnt support subdomains' (...). Later this pm - After my op - only one of the browsers on lappy 1 would connect and none of the browsers on lappy 2. Now they are all connecting. Meanwhile I have made No Changes.

Its a strange one...

JustOneOldMan

Can you post the actual subdomain URL if it's not private?
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing...

marjorie

Tried various things but the problem continues.

The URL is forum.acme.co.uk which redirects to www.acme.co.uk/forum

Right now I can connect from IE and Chrome but not FF from the laptop I'm using now. In the past I ve been able to connect using all and none of the  browsers. Other users have a similar variable experience. I can always connect via teh full url

I get the feeling its a webhost setup issue but their take is that if they can connect locally there is no problem.

Comments?

Kindred

Why does a subdomain redirect to a subdirectory?
That's just poor setup, and likely to cause issues...

However, your issue itself , aside from domain/directory confusion, is likely to be a host issue, as you said.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

marjorie

Quote from: Kindred on April 19, 2014, 05:48:13 PM
Why does a subdomain redirect to a subdirectory?

right now the subdomain and main domain are colocated on the same server, but down the line the subdomain may move somewhere else.

Also its less to type/easier to remember... but that aside... ????????????????????????

TheFitnessclubdotnet

I am having the same problem.. Hosting with go daddy and installed through a cpanel. I try adding a board and get the same error message as the OP

LiroyvH

This starts to lean very much towards mod_security going ape... ehh... getting angry. :)
Please ask GoDaddy to (temp.) disable it on your account and try again, see if that fixes it.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: