News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

To many spammers joining and posting, how to stop them?

Started by badmaash, April 16, 2014, 02:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badmaash

Hi

Please have a look at this section on my site (WARNING adult)

You will see lots of spammer posting crap, what is the best way to deal with these people?

I have deleted some of these accounts but they just register again and start posting again, not sure if they are using some sort of automated tool <?>

Thanks

B

Links to adult material removed in accordance with registration agreement - Iris.

badmaash

Quote from: K@ on April 16, 2014, 04:10:13 PM
RTFM. ;)

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Hi

I activated email activation link, I activated captcha, I created several questions but they still get through.  Is there a proper solution that will stop these guys?

Thanks

B

Antes

Yeap, unless they are human spammers. Actually you cannot stop human spammers :(

badmaash

Quote from: Antes on April 17, 2014, 05:20:51 AM
Yeap, unless they are human spammers. Actually you cannot stop human spammers :(

Actually I just installed the Stop SPammer module - will see how it goes now!

JustOneOldMan

Your questions may be too easy.  As it mentions in the document K@ linked to, the questions can be one of the most useful tools.  In addition to the captcha, I always use 5 questions.  The first one is always a simple trick question that surprisingly seems to work pretty well by itself.  I simply ask:

"Are you not a spammer?"

That, in combination with 4 more questions specific to the particular forum seems to work well.  On any given day in one forum I might have 30-50 guests at a time, and looking at "Who's online" usually close to half are trying to register, but I haven't had one get through in a long time.  The thing is, even if they only get one wrong they don't know which one.

If my forum is music related, I ask music based questions, if it's politically related I ask political questions, and so on.  But never easy ones, and try to make them at least slightly confusing.  Something like:

"If Bill has 2 apples, and Mary has 3 apples, what's another name for A#?"

I'm not saying it's foolproof and will stop all spammers, but if you pose the right questions the right way it will stop most of them...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing...

badmaash

Storman™

Advertisement: