News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

To many spammers joining and posting, how to stop them?

Started by badmaash, April 16, 2014, 02:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badmaash

Hi

Please have a look at this section on my site (WARNING adult)

You will see lots of spammer posting crap, what is the best way to deal with these people?

I have deleted some of these accounts but they just register again and start posting again, not sure if they are using some sort of automated tool <?>

Thanks

B

Links to adult material removed in accordance with registration agreement - Iris.

badmaash

Quote from: K@ on April 16, 2014, 04:10:13 PM
RTFM. ;)

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Hi

I activated email activation link, I activated captcha, I created several questions but they still get through.  Is there a proper solution that will stop these guys?

Thanks

B

Antes

Yeap, unless they are human spammers. Actually you cannot stop human spammers :(

badmaash

Quote from: Antes on April 17, 2014, 05:20:51 AM
Yeap, unless they are human spammers. Actually you cannot stop human spammers :(

Actually I just installed the Stop SPammer module - will see how it goes now!

JustOneOldMan

Your questions may be too easy.  As it mentions in the document K@ linked to, the questions can be one of the most useful tools.  In addition to the captcha, I always use 5 questions.  The first one is always a simple trick question that surprisingly seems to work pretty well by itself.  I simply ask:

"Are you not a spammer?"

That, in combination with 4 more questions specific to the particular forum seems to work well.  On any given day in one forum I might have 30-50 guests at a time, and looking at "Who's online" usually close to half are trying to register, but I haven't had one get through in a long time.  The thing is, even if they only get one wrong they don't know which one.

If my forum is music related, I ask music based questions, if it's politically related I ask political questions, and so on.  But never easy ones, and try to make them at least slightly confusing.  Something like:

"If Bill has 2 apples, and Mary has 3 apples, what's another name for A#?"

I'm not saying it's foolproof and will stop all spammers, but if you pose the right questions the right way it will stop most of them...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing...

badmaash

Storman™

Advertisement: