News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

forum access issue

Started by windguy, April 16, 2014, 03:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windguy

Hi,

some of my forum members are having access problems. I hope someone can help with this issue.
this issue started about two weeks ago. all has been running smoothly for at least two years so it's a new thing.
running SMF V2.0.6 hosted by godaddy.

the users with the problem are ones on mobile devices, specifically iphone or ipad devices using safari when they try to access the forum from my website. Using a direct link to the forum, then no problem

When trying to access the forum through an embedded script I have on my website, they get a blank screen instead of the normal log in screen.

The script I have embedded in a placeholder on the Forum page is below
align="left"><iframe src=hxxp:secoswinds.com/simplemachinesforum/ [nonactive]  width="950" height="1610"></iframe></div>

Users have no problems accessing  the forum from a desktop using Firefox, which is what I use so the problem seem very specific.

I apologize for my limited knowledge of web design and SMF features. The website was developed using a tool called WebEasy so I don't understand HTML at all.  Hope I've explained the problem clearly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mashby

It's not really a good idea to put your SMF forum in an iframe. You should consider having that link open a new tab or perhaps even in the same one.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

windguy

Mashby,

Thanks for the reply and help.
The reason I set up the link that way was so that when users are done with the forum they easily return to the website.
the link to forum login page is at hxxp:secoswinds.com [nonactive] (I guess I'm not allowed to put website links here)
The framework of the website is always there.
Do you find it odd that it work for 2+ years and then just stopped recently?
Would that because of a security feature that changed on safari or i-devices?

thanks

kat

Why not make the link open in a new tab?

As you have a "Home" link, on your forum, which takes you back to the main page, doesn't that do the job, effectively, anyway?

(Just curious).

As you're obviously not a spamtard, I've edited your link. :)

Still borks the "http" bit, though. Dumb software... :P

http://secoswinds.com

windguy

thanks K@
appreciate the input and for fixing my post.
if you can fix those hard to read verification letters required to make a post, you'd be an instant hero  ;)
I just tried the audio option and that makes it easier.

yeah, I guess I can do that as a fix. it's a good solution as mashby also suggested.
sure beats the blank login page they are getting now and people complaining to me that they can't access the forum.
we are a small group of guys that share an activity together so I see them frequently and want to make it easy for them to access and use.

thanks for the help!
cheers

kat

That code crap goes after ten posts. It's supposed to be an anti-spam thing... Supposed to be... ;)

I saw Mashby's post, too. But, I missed the bit about opening in a new tab, somehow... DoH!

Kindred

As of 2.0.6, we added protection specifically to prevent iframe access across domains. This will likely also have an effect on other iframes...   But iframes are NEVER a good idea when dealing with scripts that use sessions or write their own urls

Additionally. Almost everything that you can think to use an iframe for could probably be better done by editing the theme/template and adding menu options, etc.

For example, on fx-sabers, I added a home button that takes a user back to the main page, and a forum home button that takes the user to the forum page...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: