403 error when posting

Started by deccatech.com, April 17, 2014, 04:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deccatech.com

i try to post on my forum and i am getting this error.

Error 403 - Forbidden
You tried to access a document for which you don't have privileges.
Requested URL: hxxp:deccatech.com/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=2 [nonactive]

how can i fix this?

margarett

Hi and welcome to SMF ;)

Who is your host? Ask them to disable mod_security. That is probably your issue there
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Mod_security_-_Having_problems_with_mod_security

I edited your topic title. Please use descriptive titles...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

littleone

Recently my site was switched to a different server and I have had a plethora of issues.  Most recently users have complained about posting polls gives them a 403 error.  Also another received the same error when uploading to my gallery, however the upload went through despite the error.

Anyway... I contacted the host to inquire about disabling the mod_security and they ask for the specific rules.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  I have asked for a list of the rules...if that helps... and will post those when I get them.

Kindred

Well, see.... that's the biggest problem...  we have no idea WHAT rules THEY have in place, so we have no idea what rules are being triggered.

I mean, some truly idiotic hosts block the word "sex" ---  which means that if I posted my address (Middlesex County), the post would get rejected.

And none of these hosts are willing to share their actual rules set with the users or with us to help us figure out specifically what is being flagged...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Ask them to disable it entirely. It's clear that there's something misconfigured because all other SMF installs out there don't present those issues (and of course there is no security issue in it).

The other way around is: which rules are being triggered? The "problem" we always had with mod_security is that no host was ever able to tell us what was causing it to trigger...

edit: ninja'd :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

If you could repost the troublesome post here, we could try to examine why it's choking. I've seen the stock ruleset mod_security ships with and can usually unpick it from that (*sex* is not actually a standard entry in the ruleset, or at least never used to be in the stock ruleset)

littleone

Quote from: FLCruise7 on January 29, 2015, 03:06:09 PM
Here it is.  I even asked Vikki to try (just to see if was only me) and she got the same error.

Thanks!

Quote from: FLCruise7 on January 27, 2015, 06:21:38 PM
Here is the screenshot of what I put in the poll -- I'm still getting the same error message when I try to post.

Thanks!

FLC

Quote from: LittleOne on January 27, 2015, 04:01:51 PM
Just tested again, and no issues.  Can you try again, or provide a screenshot of what exactly you are putting in the poll and what options you are checking just prior to trying to post it?

Quote from: FLCruise7 on January 27, 2015, 11:31:43 AM
Just a heads up -- I tried again to post a poll and am still getting the error message.  I saw that you're working on the site issues and wanted to let you know this was still an issue.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks!!
FLC

Quote from: FLCruise7 on January 21, 2015, 11:06:12 PM
Hi Little & Jeff,

I was trying to post a poll tonight & got the following message.  This is the first time I've seen this in the years I've been posting polls.  Has something changed?

Thanks!
FLC

Arantor

I see nothing in the poll that in itself should be causing it to choke. What about the post? I only see part of the post... any chance we can get all of it?

Advertisement: