Notifications setting stumped with this problem

Started by joeyjojoshabadoo, April 17, 2014, 04:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyjojoshabadoo

Hi guys,

i'm stumped with this.

When someone posts a new reply on our forum, the Board has the little coloured notification thingy on it for everyone, but the latest posts block in the sidebar no longer will, and neither will the topic when I clock into the board itself.

The weird thing is, this is only happening for one user - for everyone else it's fine; ie, for everyone else, when someone else posts a reply in a topic, and they refresh their page, a little orange notification shows up in the latest posts in the sidebar, and when they go to the latest posts page 'latest rugby betting posts' they see orange for anything unread there too. But the one user doesn't!

Have you any ideas why this might be happening? I've gone through the profile and can't find a thing to make the unread posts notification show up as it was doing a few days ago for this user.

If it helps, forum is here http://www.dropkickrugby.com/forum

Thanks for any ideas on how to fix this weird one

kat

If it's one member, only, I have to suspect their browser. Maybe they have an addon that buggers things, like that?

Have they got a clean browser they could use, to check that out?

joeyjojoshabadoo

its actually my own user account its happening on Kat.

i changed some utf settings yesterday  ( from the iso character set to UTF english british)  coudl that be causing it?

i also tried to login on chrome and on firefox and the same thing is happeneing - an orange notification on the board that there's something in there new, but nothing in the latest posts area.

HOWEVER on chrome, the following is showing up (see attachment). So maybe it is the utf stuff and the language changes?

joeyjojoshabadoo

Kat also just to say, i have a test user, and the images ( the little new thingy) are showing up fine for that one, on both browsers on the same computer for new posts.

Both are set to english british too.

This is weird isnt it.

kat

"Weird" doesn't even begin to cover it...

Are the two accounts both admins?

(I'm fishing, here, coz this doesn't make sense, as you say)

joeyjojoshabadoo

hey Kat.

I figured I'd leave this for a bit to see if it settled down.

Quote from: K@ on April 18, 2014, 06:29:42 AM
"Weird" doesn't even begin to cover it...

Are the two accounts both admins?

(I'm fishing, here, coz this doesn't make sense, as you say)

Both of the accounts were admins yes.

On firefox now, whenever there is a new post the word New comes up instead of the orange new icon ( if you remember, before there was nothing). On Chrome, the image is still the broken one as per the above attachment.

As I said, I did mess around with the character set a bit ( utf8, latin, switching which ones).

I also changed the settings in profile, modify profile, look and layout - at the bottom where you can show 'Quick Moderation' as Icons, Checkboxes, or do not show. I feel like the whole issue started around then but I'm not 100%.

As i said, its not happening on the same browsers for a different admin user so it has to be something to do with my profile ( from what little I know).

I really am lost here, any more ideas?

kat

I'm baffled.

It HAS to be you. But, rather than it being your profile, I'm thinking that it's your computer, in some way.

I'm guessing that there's, perhaps, something you're running kinda in tandem with your browser(s). Security software? Couldn't even begin to think quite what, though.

Can you log in from a totally different machine and see what's a-diddlin', then?

joeyjojoshabadoo

Same on a laptop, and same on an android phone Kat.

kat

Long-shot, this...

I don't s'pose you took a backup, before you started playing with the utf-8 thing, did you?

This really is doing my 'ead in, this.

'course, it could be sumfin' utterly simple and we can't see the wood for the leafy things...

joeyjojoshabadoo

No didnt do backup.

Still having no luck with this kat.

the latest posts block on the right is still displaying the word 'new' in green ( the theme's link colour). This is both in firefox of course. The cracked picture is just happening on Chrome for new unread post notifications.

Kat, i checked out the element html for the word new and the broken image
/images/english_british-utf8/new.gif" alt="New" border="0"

Now, the english british folder wasn't there so I created one as you can see it above in that string (english_british-utf8/new.gif). I set permissions for both as the other were in similar folders and yet I'm still getting the broken small image in Chrome and the word new in green ( as all links in the theme are rendered green) in firefox.

Please help, i'm going round the bend! :D

joeyjojoshabadoo

Also, Kat, even when I select English as the language and clerar the cache and look to see that element, it's still going to the english british folder on the path and not the english folder and not picking up the image i put in there.

This is probably something to do with the language packs but no idea what's going on

kat

Hmmm... Do you have two directories? english_british-utf8 and english_british?

joeyjojoshabadoo

I do but I've deleted them and now only have british utf. have deleted and reinstalled both languages but nothing's working

Illori

i think best at this point is a test account that shows the issue and ftp access to your forum so the missing images can be put back. if you can pm me that info i can look into this further for you.

Advertisement: