News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Theme Leftovers from uninstall and a few more queries

Started by hellman666, April 17, 2014, 10:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellman666

I uninstalled a load of themes from my ftp, so now got my main theme and the defaults by smf eg core, running 2.0.7, using the blackday theme

ran maintenance, cleaned cache, but i still have two identical themes, but being a bit newbie i might be wrong, thing is i get some MOD installation errors and not sure if the two theme are causing it or if i only have one theme, all the ones removed are sitting cached somewhere, basically after a forum crash i reinstalled the theme, added my backup to restore the stuff i had done like board config stuff

1. how to i get my forum to only use the one theme, so i can see only one theme when i only see one theme in my folder?
2. If i see anything with the ~ does that mean its duplicated or backed up etc
3. i notice a lot of gifs in images, can i replace them with .php around size 21 for a better image quality, and how, also want to darken some sections of the theme and maybe add a background, any advice appreciated.
4. I get a source error after maintenance SSI.php out of date, how do i upgrade or fix this?
5. The theme i use at the moment is blackday, would this cause similar issues with files being out of date as maintenance mode does pick up a couple of files that need updating?

hope you dont mind me asking various questions in one topic, just to save posting several other questions in all the others as coding, upgrading, graphics would have been 3 posts... :-) I've got notepad++ and xampp installed on the desktop, so can get stuck in without worrying, forum is backed up and downloaded the whole thing from the ftp server

thanks for any or all advice \m/

peace out  :)

Kindred

1- if you deleted the files and directories without also removing the theme from the installed list, then you have a theme listed as "installed" when there is nothing actually there...   you need to remove it from smf admin theme manager as well as delete the directories.

2- yes. php~ files are backups made by mod installations.

3- no. anything in the images is probably called by name and extension. You would have to change every call for the file if you changes the extension.

4- give us the exact error and we can try to help. General statements don't give us much to go on...

5- huh?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hellman666

ref

3. all i really want to do is make a few select gif images as .png, daft spell check used php for some reason, i have changed the gifs used for 1 star and 5 star to something more theme appropriate, changed the category icons, so it's only some cosmetics to enhance it a little, changing the whole thing would be a bit of task right now, another thing i might do is just recolour ones that are there, darken some or used ready made free gifs as direct replacements, i can experiment with size in my own time

5. i meant, if i use what is an older theme, maybe buggy, would it have an effect on source files being identified as old or needing update

mmm, i did initially remove them from the theme manager, then when they stayed there, removed them from ftp, i have hidden them from user view at least, but the two blackdays are an issue, they appear joined at the hip every time i want to install a mod, yet most of the time the mods go in ok and if i jump between the two black days they're the same, so likely is a leftover cached file somewhere

the source files is SSI.php 2.0.4 says i should have 2.0.7, the SSI files is in red, not on this image, the image shows question marks next to all the theme .php files after maintenance, so SSI.php and the .php ?? are the main issues after a maintenance check

cheers  :D

appreciated the fast response, thanks

Kindred

Ah... No, in general, any theme for 2.0.x should be fine on 2.0.x

I don't know that anything in ssi.php was changed, but you can always just grab a clean copy of ssi.php from the large upgrade archive file...

Replacing star images is fine, since those are defined by the admin... Replacing basic theme images would require changing code. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hellman666

got the SSI.php resolved, followed you and replaced it with an archived one, icons n stuff is sorted, red a gimp 2.8 tutorial on making .ico .png .gif icons and maintaining a decent res, so getting there slowly

i attached the screen shot, it shows two identical themes, core theme installs upgrade, blackday fails, can you shed a little wisdom as to how i resolve this, or point me to a topic that explains how to do it, this is the only thing right now that i can see as an issue, after that i need to work on altering colours, customising panels, which brings me to my 2nd question, were are all the graphic files stored so i can take a section and edit it with gimp, drop it back into the server, rather than messing about with lots of code, i can see things like catbg.jpg

thanks  :)

Kindred

Hmmmm... I have never seen anything like that before...   It looks like, somehow you got a theme installed twice.  You'll probably need to edit the database ditty to remove the ghost.
Слaва
Украинi

hellman666

cheers Kindred, i'll start looking into that, baffled how to same named files can co exists within a directory without something picking up on the issue, i'll have a look around for some sort of database analyser tool if there is one, otherwise i might be at it till next year...

will post an update hopefully with a resolution or workaround  :)

hellman666

Quote from: Kindred on April 18, 2014, 07:52:41 PM
Hmmmm... I have never seen anything like that before...   It looks like, somehow you got a theme installed twice.  You'll probably need to edit the database ditty to remove the ghost.

Seems going in via the cpanel, looking for ID's relating to the theme in question, deleting the earlies or lowest ID number of that theme and renaming the duplicate file/folder, appears to fix the issue, i still can see ?? after maintenance is run, but some mods are installing that would not work before, 99.9% ok, far as i can see, will close this just now as resolved, cheers all.

Advertisement: