Convert guest to users

Started by panelpro, April 18, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panelpro

I have forum running on the latest version, is there any way to convert all guest posters to users even if they have to go with a randomly generated names.

thanks 

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

panelpro

Thanks for the response sire, what if I create a new user as "anonymous" or "guest", is there any way I can move all post by guest to that user account?

N/B this is very necessary for my migration to bbpress

SaltedWeb

Hi there,
I am finding this is a limitation on most software for forums.
I have asked this same question on other software I run on my server and is always the
same answer ..... nope !

What I did was asked the person I had, was to join and then created a group that complimented there activity.
Like Site Contributor, Honorary Staff , all depending on how I felt about the person that way they can keep the reputation even if kharma, post count is lost .

Just and Idea !
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

margarett

Quote from: panelpro on April 19, 2014, 10:40:25 AM
Hummmm... BBpress should support guest posts the same way. Why is this an issue?

SMF does allow you to attribute posts from guests to another user. Although, AFAIR, there is a tiny bug in it :P But it is workable ;)
Check Administration Center » Forum Maintenance » Members

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SaltedWeb

Hmmmmm :-\ Ive never been able to convert members read up on it some.
Was never able from guest to members.

Well if it works for the OP thats awesome.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

margarett

Well, you don't "convert the guest", actually... You re-attribute posts from a certain guest (since they keep the name and email) to an already existing user. It seems that the OP would like to automatically create users for the posts, but that's really a too much automated task...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

panelpro

Quote from: margarett on April 19, 2014, 01:12:57 PM
Well, you don't "convert the guest", actually... You re-attribute posts from a certain guest (since they keep the name and email) to an already existing user. It seems that the OP would like to automatically create users for the posts, but that's really a too much automated task...
If it's possible to create just a new user with the username as  "guest" or "anonymous" then attribute all post done by guest users to this very user I 'll be just fine. 

Quote from: margarett on April 19, 2014, 11:45:40 AM
Quote from: panelpro on April 19, 2014, 10:40:25 AM
Hummmm... BBpress should support guest posts the same way. Why is this an issue?

bbpress isn't migrating post from guest under their name but instead attributing them to the "keymaster" which is actually my main account on Wordpress

Kindred

Well, since you are converting out of smf, I would suggest that you ask over on the bbpress conversion support site rather than here...
Why would we help write conversion routines to help people leave smf?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

panelpro

Quote from: Kindred on April 19, 2014, 05:43:43 PM
Well, since you are converting out of smf, I would suggest that you ask over on the bbpress conversion support site rather than here...
Why would we help write conversion routines to help people leave smf?
This part If it's possible to create just a new user with the username as  "guest" or "anonymous" then attribute all post done by guest users to this very user I 'll be just fine. Will solve my challenges without having to seek for another support.

Besides, I'm not leaving SMF but migrating this particular forum content to a live wordpress blog so I can use the forum for core forum activities.   

Kindred

You can create any user you want...

And you can use the reattribute under admin, maintenance to sign posts to that user...
However, smf, like any other forum software, does not "covert guests to users"
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: