Enhanced PM System

Started by dougiefresh, April 20, 2014, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

I won't be able to included for a few days as I just had knee surgery.  I hope you understand. Thank you.

Geor'G

Do not operate the settings mode.
Options are not saved:

Reseyge personal messages from
Notify by email every time you receive a personal messag

If the option is disabled in the settings:
Allow users to select PM views other than conversation mode

dougiefresh

Regarding settings not being saved, I've noticed that happening on my localhost server, and not just in the Enhanced PM settings page.  Removing the cached mod settings file (mine is data_9b8c40e6a18fdc0d0bc5a111bdc9934e-SMF-modSettings) fixes the problem until the next time you need to change a setting, however, I haven't found a good explanation for this to be happening.....  Further research is required before I can fix this issue....

EDIT: Spoke too soon.... The Cannot save Admin/Forum/Smileys/Settings changes thread seems to have some solutions to this problem....

EDIT2: I am looking into the other issues....  Please be patient....  O:)

dougiefresh

@Geor'G: I can duplicate the PM settings page in the Personal Messages not being able to save certain settings.  I'll look into it.

@Circa, @Kardamilas and @runningtrades:  I haven't forgotten your bug reports.  I'm looking into them.

@messire_Leonard: The Russian translation will be included in the next version of the mod.  Thank you for submitting it!

runningtrades

Tried installing this mod a few times, and have to keep deleting it. When someone receives a new PM, the notification keeps reappearing every time you log into the site, as if it's a new message, but it's not. Only way around it is to delete the messages after you read them.

runningtrades

Is there a fix in the works for the issue noted in my last post?

dougiefresh

Quote from: runningtrades on April 12, 2016, 02:00:48 PM
Is there a fix in the works for the issue noted in my last post?
I haven't been able to find the issue in the mod.  Honestly, I'm considering rewriting the entire mod from the ground up, in order to address some of the issues/reports that have been reported....

-Rock Lee-

@dougefresh I see there is a translation into Spanish but Spain so now I leave the Latin version which has some changes and improvements that I think should go ...

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

RizwaN

i have installed this PM System but when some one PM to anybody the receiver can not see notification of PM plz help.i am using SMF 2.0.1 and have installed LEVEL them.

James Gryphon

Hi Doug,
I hate to pile on a fellow, but my forum's been running the enhanced PM system for a while now, and we've bumped into a major bug.

Everything seemed to work mostly fine for a while (at least enough that nobody complained too much). The default view has one irritating characteristic in that, if you don't use "Recent messages at the top", you start out at page 1 (your oldest conversations) every time you go to your PMs, and have to click to get to the newest ones, but I made the switch and things worked fine for a time.

It turned out, though, that I couldn't load any conversation except for the top one, no matter which one that I clicked. If I have two conversations, #1 and #2, and click on #2, it would load #1 anyway. Changing from conversation mode to "All at once" made things workable for me again. Within the last few days, though, somebody else reported the same issue. (This has happened before. I "fixed" it back then by uininstalling the mod, but some of our members just loved it and wanted it back in, so I crossed my fingers, hoped it was a fluke before, and put it back in.)

If you're really going to rewrite the mod from the ground up, I'm not sure how much this bug report will help, but I thought it was worth mentioning. As far as the forum goes, I'm not sure whether I'll simply advise everybody to use non-conversation mode, or just scrap the mod and put in a smaller one like the "Sent PM" search to help tide people over. I guess we'll see.

skb

Quote from: James Gryphon on June 15, 2016, 09:21:56 PM
It turned out, though, that I couldn't load any conversation except for the top one, no matter which one that I clicked. If I have two conversations, #1 and #2, and click on #2, it would load #1 anyway. Changing from conversation mode to "All at once" made things workable for me again. Within the last few days, though, somebody else reported the same issue. (This has happened before. I "fixed" it back then by uininstalling the mod, but some of our members just loved it and wanted it back in, so I crossed my fingers, hoped it was a fluke before, and put it back in.)

I had this same problem for ONE day & then it resolved on its own. Didn't make the changes that you did. The previous day I had installed Tiny Portal & I thought it was having some conflict with a Mod. Since the issue resolved on its own, I put it down to some server side maintenance error & forgot about it. But I will keep your advice in mind, just in case.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

JF3000

I just installed this mod on a fresh system and the messages section even after sending a PM doesn't change, what could I be doing wrong?

dougiefresh

Life has been kicking me while I'm down lately....  I really haven't had much time to work on these mods lately.  I'd apologize for any inconvenience this causes, but my workplace has been firing people and expecting everybody else to pick up the load left....  (Sigh)

I'll try to look into these bug reports when I have some time.  I have some vacation coming up in 2 weeks, so maybe then....

JF3000

dougiefresh

About a month ago, I've lost my job and have been severely depressed.  I need some help, so if you want to help, please do so!

I've uploaded this mod to GitHub here: https://github.com/douglasorend/Enhanced_PM_System

FragaCampos

I'm sorry to know that, but hey, life goes on, and there are surely many opportunities out there.
Believe me, loosing the job is bad but it's not the end of the world. Keep your eyes pointing to the sky, rather to the floor!

Cheers.

foxesdancingonsnow

Quote from: dougiefresh on February 13, 2016, 09:40:33 PM
Regarding settings not being saved, I've noticed that happening on my localhost server, and not just in the Enhanced PM settings page.  Removing the cached mod settings file (mine is data_9b8c40e6a18fdc0d0bc5a111bdc9934e-SMF-modSettings) fixes the problem until the next time you need to change a setting, however, I haven't found a good explanation for this to be happening.....  Further research is required before I can fix this issue....

EDIT: Spoke too soon.... The Cannot save Admin/Forum/Smileys/Settings changes thread seems to have some solutions to this problem....

EDIT2: I am looking into the other issues....  Please be patient....  O:)

Just to be sure I understand as I got a bit lost on this last page...is the issue/problem with users not being able to change their settings (specifically not being able to choose "never" to receive e-mails with PMs) a file permissions issue or a bug in the mod?

James Gryphon

Quote from: skb on June 15, 2016, 10:23:36 PM
Quote from: James Gryphon on June 15, 2016, 09:21:56 PM

I had this same problem for ONE day & then it resolved on its own. Didn't make the changes that you did. ... But I will keep your advice in mind, just in case.
Noticed something interesting, testing it again today.

There are two options in the "Personal Messaging" profile setting section, "Show most recent conversation at top of list", and "Show most recent personal messages in conversation at top".

If you have one of these options checked, but not the other, it will reliably trigger the bug as described in my previous post. You start out at the top of the page, with no jump.

If you have both or neither checked, however, you can view any conversation normally. However, after loading that conversation, it then jumps you a currently unpredictable distance down the page.

My analysis of what happens depending on what checkboxes are checked:
Unchkd./U
Loading any conversation works
1st page is oldest conversations, 14 is newest
Jumps down after opening conversation
Inside convo, bottom of page is newest PM

Chckd./C
Loading any conversation works
1st page is newest conversations, 14 is oldest
Jumps down after opening conversation
Inside convo, bottom of page is oldest PM

C/U
Conversation loaded is always the one at the top of the page of conversations
1st page is newest conversations, 14 is oldest
No jump
Inside convo, bottom of the page is oldest PM

U/C
Conversation loaded is always the one at the top of the page of conversations
1st page is oldest conversations, 14 is newest
No jump
Inside convo, bottom of the page is newest PM

So, having the first box unselected and the second one checked is no different from having both boxes unselected, and it breaks your ability to pick any conversation besides the one at the top of the list; conversely, checking the first box but not the second one is exactly the same as checking both boxes, but also breaks picking conversations.

I don't know what the cause of any of this is, but hopefully somebody who has a better knowledge of this mod than me can figure out the underlying problems.

MaryLouW

I"m not sure where I'm supposed to post this but I'm sure you guys will move it to where it should go.

I just installed the Enhanced PM System, which I liked the look of it.  However, no matter which message I wanted to read, it would only display the last message posted.  I uninstalled it so my users wouldn't get confused. 

Is there something that I didn't do right maybe?

dougiefresh

God, I need to do something with that mod.  It's a known issue with that mod.

I can't seem to find the issue with it, and It's a big fricken mod....  I am honestly considering stopping support for that mod altogether....

Advertisement: